Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift opinions and questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by new2k5, Dec 20, 2002.

1. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

i just bought a 87 blazer on tuesaday and i got to say i really love this thing. i have been into offroading for 4 + years (in jeeps)so i definitly want to lift it but i am haveing trouble decideing what lift to go with. i always used rubicon express or teraflex stuff on my jeeps. i also want to know what else do i need IE. slip yoke eliminator ajustable steering stuff etc. i want to run 36 14.5 swamper SX's so i assumeing i need a 6" lift will i have vibration problems or bumpsteer? where do i find all the little peices not listed in the mags, like sway bar disco's? does old man emu make shocks for blazers? what gear ratio should i go with? i have a 350 700 205 combo. will the 8.5 hold up with a locker? thanks

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

For lifts, I like BDS and Superlift. With all K5's I'm a firm beliver in upgrading the axles to either 3/4 Ton or 1 Ton. (Some people have made it a ongoing joke about my postinging that, but ohwell) Gears; I'm not the expert, but I'd guess 4:56 would be close to what you'll need. For the swaybar dissconect, ORD .

3. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

are you sure you have a 205, 208 was stock on an 87, the 10 bolts will probably not be strong enough if you really want to wheel it, ome does make shocks for blazers, but don't know the numbers right off, discos can be had at ord or warrior products, for ratio 4.56 milage or 4.88 power, no 8.5 grenades regularly with a gov-lok /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

oh, and if you do a search you can get more detailed info for what you are looking for /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

congrats on the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

First, you need to ask yourself what you want to do with the truck......And then you need to decide how hard you're gonna be hittin it, after you come to the answers, then you can find out what you need.

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I agree with Z3PR on the axles. You will save cash putting them in now. You can do quite a bit with a 6" lift. anywhere from 35" on the street to 40" with massive fender cutting (I did). Its also low enough that you can still get good flex and you still stay out of the massive mods that the higher lifts get you.

You could just take the swaybar off. If it rides ok for you, you just saved the money for the disconnects.

the gear ratio depends on the tires and the usage. Like BubbaRay said, it depends on what you are going to use it for.

6. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the help. i kinda figured a full size would have decent axels /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif OH well. are the axel mounts the same on 1 ton chevys?

yea i have a 208 i mistyped

i want to have a decent on road driveable vehichle that i can still take on class 4 or low 5 trails

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think you'll have to move the perches on the 1 tons, but the 3/4 tons are strait bolt ins.

8. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You can get 'em decently cheap too. Then save up for a D60 later on.

9. new2k5

new2k5 1/2 ton status

what years do i look for? do any come with lower gears? i am not sure what ratio i have but i kmow it could be a little lower. it came with 32 AT's wich is nice since there big enough i wont have to worry about gettin tires till i get the lift axels and other goodies together.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My axles came from a 78 3/4 ton pick-up. Stock gears are 3:73 in these axles. I hear that 4:10 and even 4:56 are fairly comman. I know mid late 70's through mid 80's 3/4 ton trucks should all have the 14 Bolt Full Floating. [​IMG]