Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift options and questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by hotrod3791, Feb 10, 2002.

1. hotrod3791

hotrod3791 Registered Member

Well from the jimmy sitting so long the tires are dry rotted bad. I found a set of 33in BFG mud tires with about 1/4 to 1/3 tread for $45 these will fit right? Since i found out that i have a front and rear spring broke i am looking at getting an all spring lift. Which kit seems to work the best? I would like one that comes with everything i need. I am trying to figure out what size and brand to look for. Are there any advantages or disadvantges in any of the sizes or brands? What prices should i be expecting to pay for these? I also cant seem to find out what size tires that stock axles can handle any help? Any help is welcome and thanks for all of it.

what do you mean i cant bring home another truck?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: I have questions.......again

I don't know too much about the different brands but the Tough Country EZ ride are the softest out there.
    I think a 4" lift works the best for most types of wheeling. If you run 33's you shouldn't have to do any trimming. If you go to 35's you will have to do a bit of trimming.
    Stock axles can handle 35" or 36" tires if you arn't too hard on it. If you do go to bigger tires I would swap out the front axle shafts for some 73-78 axles because they use a larger u-joint.

If I it was my truck I would move the front spring hanger forward and use 73- springs because they are longer (softer and mor flex) and easy to find. For the rear I would go with a shackle flip and a 56" spring from a 3/4 ton (with a leaf or 2 removed). But that is just me[​IMG] tossing out ideas.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

3. frito

frito Registered Member

hey triaged whats involved in moving the front spring mount forward an inch on our k5s? i have a pair of tough country springs on an 84 chevy i would like to mount on the front of my blazer (my current springs are ranchos they are pretty old and hard as a rock)

and if you got the right offset rim a 35 fits on a first gen k5 with only minimal trimming to the fenders with even a 2 inch lift (what i have right now) 33's clear realy well on first gens though

71 K5 Blazer,350/TH350/205 33's/ 2inch lift for now, soon to have 14B FF and D60 in a few weeks

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I think there are a few people on here that have done it. The problem would be that the front body mount is part of the spring hanger. You might be able to move the hanger one rivet and than make a support for the one that would hang off??? The rivets are about 1.5" apart which is about how far you would have to move them to keep the wheels centered in the wheel well. For the rear I would just make some longer shackles to take up the extra slack. You should end up with a good shackle angle because with most lift springs (for a 1st gen) the shackle angles forward at the bottom. You want the shackle to angle back just a bit for a good ride. The shackles from ORD might be the right size but with how ez it is to make them I would just do it myself.

<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

5. hotrod3791

hotrod3791 Registered Member

i think im leaning towards a 6in lift just because i know if i get the 4 sooner or later ill need to go bigger. This jimmy is also not my daily driver it was just going to be a plow truck but i think that is going to change. What other upgrades can you do to the stock axles so that they can handle a larger tire? What kits that are complete should i look at? Ive tried to find the biggest tire i can run with a 6in lift and fender trimming but i cant seem to. Am i searching for the wrong thing?

what do you mean i cant bring home another truck?

6. naranja72

naranja72 1/2 ton status

Instead of moving the spring mount forward, Off Road Design has a 1" zero rate add-a-leaf which can move your axle 1" or 1.5" either forward or back. It can also keep the axle in the stock location. Cost is $40.00, here's the link:
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm>http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/Zero%20Rates.htm</a>

Hope this helps,
    marc

7. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Well if you don't move the front than you would have to move the shackle mount. I think you could move the rear eye of the spring 1.5" and still have a good shackle angle with some longer shackles but I think 3" would be too much.

Maybe it would be easier to move the shackle mount ( and use the 1" 0-rates) than the front spring hanger???