Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift options, what should i do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Jul 30, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

ok so i finally an really thinking about getting the old burb a 4 inch lift, and am considering three options:

one.
    since i want to retain 3/4ton+ capabilitys, find rear springs out of a f250 ( longer i think) and swap them in the rear with a custom shackle flip by me. then take out every other leaf from the rear pack and put in in the front, with a longer shackle. I then have to buy a drop pitman arn ect.

Two.
    buy the tuff country 4" kit w/blocks. done

three.
    get said lift kit and chuck the blocks and flip the rear my self.

Let me know what you think /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    this is my dd and i do want to keep as much work capabitliy as posable. i also dont know the cost of a kit yet so that will factor in as expences can be a little thin here. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

If you want to keep towing capability, go with a spring lift all around. Either that or flip the shackle yourself and take your chances.

John

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Option 1 will force you into trial and error to get the front height right.

Heavy Dodge's use blocks, so blocks must be bad....

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I really like the design of the ORD Shackle Flip, it built very well, very heavy duty looking to me. And more then a few people tow with it, so, just something to think about.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I went with 4" ez-rides up front and 4" shackle flip rear and all of the goodies they have at ORD. The ride as greatly improved over stock it flexes really well off road for an suburban /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I couldn’t be more happier with the dession I made.

6. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

If funds are tight now, I would do the standard lift with rear blocks. Then later you can swap in rear springs or shackle flip if you feel the need.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

well i could make my own for farely cheap so....
    what did you guys pay for your kits?

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]

Heavy Dodge's use blocks, so blocks must be bad....

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif From what I've seen the dodge CTD's are the best tow rigs out there.

I would use an add a leaf and a block. I have been towing for years now with my K5 setup like that without a hint of a problem.

9. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i dont tow much, but have loaded the back with tonns of stuff so. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    i dont tow much, but have loaded the back with tonns of stuff so. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Go for the kit with blocks then.

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Sure, if you like axle warp.

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

The kit with springs and blocks.

[ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif From what I've seen the dodge CTD's are the best tow rigs out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big freakin deal 10 ft/lbs more then a Duramax, Give me a break! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I didn't vote but here is another option for a cheap 4" lift again what I would do is flip the rear and use rears in the front. Only serious expense comes in with steering correction the rest can dang near be done for nothing if your a good parts scavenger. Just my opinion and everybody's got one so take it for what its worth.

14. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Blocks suck /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

15. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The F250 springs are 3" wide... could get messy.

I think the shackle flip is good, but be prepared to address your pinion angle once you're done.

I scooped some 5-6" blocks from a *stock* '93 Dodge w/Cummins. I didn't expect those to be in there

16. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    A warped axle???? Never seen a block do that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

If you ment axle wrap then that probably won't be an issue with a 4" block and 3/4 ton springs. I don't experience ANY axle wrap and I have had all 4 tires spinning on asphalt, towing heavy trailers, wheeling, etc. Blocks get a bad rap IMHO from taller, poor designed blocks. I wouldn't run a block taller than 6".

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    The kit with springs and blocks.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Big freakin deal 10 ft/lbs more then a Duramax, Give me a break! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Bah, try putting both on the dyno, the difference will be slightly more. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's the whole setup IMHO, D80 outback, D60 in front that is 4 linked, an nv5600 and a medium duty ISB cummins is a good combo in my book. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Especially when the cummins can handle 350 HP & 800 ft lbs all day long and still live 400,000 miles. That is unmatched by the Dmax. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    A warped axle???? Never seen a block do that. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

If you ment axle wrap then that probably won't be an issue with a 4" block and 3/4 ton springs. I don't experience ANY axle wrap and I have had all 4 tires spinning on asphalt, towing heavy trailers, wheeling, etc. Blocks get a bad rap IMHO from taller, poor designed blocks. I wouldn't run a block taller than 6".

[/ QUOTE ] Glad you never experenced axle warp, but I did with 4" block and a add-a-leaf on a 6" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

19. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Glad you never experenced axle warp, but I did with 4" block and a add-a-leaf on a 6" lift. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    How did the block warp the axle? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

20. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The F250 springs are 3" wide... could get messy.

I think the shackle flip is good, but be prepared to address your pinion angle once you're done.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are? i am trying to think what mine are must be 2 1/2 them right? i might be abe to make that wark with a new fliped shackle ill make, and i would have to make a new spring hanger too /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif i dont really think i would stick to the blocks for long as i could flip it for cheap. (and i wont be cutting a hole in my hanger /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif)
    i might have them on till i get a little time to filp it, it would give me beter flex anyway as my ass end dont move much, want to see full drop? look to my webshots, stuck burb album,
    i think its down like 4-5 inchs max.

i wasa trying to figgure out what the kit w/blocks would cost me? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif