Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift options

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by mud390, Aug 5, 2003.

1. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I've got an 84 K5 with bone stock suspension. I'm looking to lift it, but unsure of what route to go. I plan to use the truck for trails and mud, but not rock crawling. I would like to run 35's, but noticed on your website you don't carry 6" Tuff Country front kits. Is there any reason you don't carry them or are they just not listed? I wanted to do a shackle flip for the rear with either a slightly longer shackle or zero rate. Maybe a combo of both. Any thoughts, input, and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Kris

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    GM 2",3",4" EZride Kits 215.00
    GM HD and 6" $225.00

[/ QUOTE ]

They have a 6" but it looks like not in an EZ ride

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I noticed that, but I didn't know if it was strictly HD or not. I really don't have the need for HD springs. EZ-rides are what I was wanting. Better ride, more flex.

Kris

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

GO to tuff country's web site. I don't believe they have 6" hd springs only the easy ride could be wrong. ORD can get you what ever you want.

5. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'll have to shoot ORD an email after work and get the skinny on everything. Thanks for all the help!

Kris

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Give ORD a call (970) 945-7777. If they don't have what you want,They can get it. In the rear of my K5 I went 4" shackle flip and 3" Tuff Country EZ ride springs. The front of my K5 has 6" Superlift springs and soon to add ORD's heavy duty greasable shackles. I like the rear of my K5 sitting slightly higher then the front.

7. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Here's the reply to the email:

Kris, there's a couple ways you can go, either a 4" suspension or a 6", just like you asked about. I'd lean toward the 4" suspension and run a 1" body lift since it leaves your driveshaft angles a little closer to stock and you can still fit a 35" tire with a little trimming.
    Just as an FYI, the TCI 6" springs are a 4 leaf design and they really only have one spring, they call it the EZride but it works pretty well regardless of front weight.
    Personally I was happy with my K5 running a 4" suspension with the 1" body lift and 33-36" tires. At one point I ran the 4" EZrides with a shackle flip and had the Q-78-16 (35.5") swampers on it and it worked really well. I also ran a set of 35" bfg muds for a little while in addition to a whole bunch of other tires. I've found this to be a pretty good recipe for all around use since it provides good clearance and suspension travel but leaves the driveshaft angles as close to stock as possible. I've built my Suburban roughly around these specs since I knew it worked so well. I used the 3" springs since it was supposed to only have 33's on it but I kind of blew that one, it has 35's on it now and will be getting a 1" body lift pretty soon.
    One thing to be aware of is that the actual lift springs are only a small part of the equation, you still need to look at stuff like greasable suspension bushings, HD shackles, swaybar disconnects, steering box brace, bumpstops, etc....and then you can start looking at equally important trail gear like gears, lockers, axles, body protection, tools, and on and on and on.
    Hope this helps, let me know if you have more questions.