Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift or leave stock?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by MikeMc, Apr 9, 2001.

1. MikeMc

MikeMc Newbie

Hi all, I’m starting to set up my 89 K5 Silverado. It’s original except for new 33” tires added by the previous owner. The tire fit guides call for a 4” lift with this rubber but I don’t see any clearance problems.
    What I do need is replacement spring bushings, as the factory rubber ones are shot. Would the ORD heavy duty shackles and greaseable rear bushings be worthwhile on an unlifted truck?
    If this is sure to rub with no lift what about a 2 1/2” lift? I think that would include the front bushings anyway.
    I will defiantly be adding the bolt on steering box brace.
    If I replace shocks now will stock length shocks fit with 2 ½” lift?
    I plan to drive mostly on highway and haul my fly fishing gear on forest service roads, so I don’t need a serious rock crawler.
    If I stay with no lift would extending the bump stops a little be a good idea?

MikeMc
    mykemc@mediaone.net

2. BMRCCR

BMRCCR Registered Member

Hi all, I’m starting to set up my 89 K5 Silverado.

>Good choice!

It’s original except for new 33” tires added by the previous owner. The tire fit guides call for a 4” lift with this rubber but I don’t see any clearance problems.

>Looks can be decieving about tire fitment.

What I do need is replacement spring bushings, as the factory rubber ones are shot. Would the ORD heavy duty shackles and greaseable rear bushings be worthwhile on an unlifted truck?

>The bushings would be, IMO. Not the shackles, though. They're only really useful if you have alot of leverage on the shackles from lift + big tires, also IMHO. Stephen's gonna hate me. Driving away more business! I'll probably get banned, lol :).

If this is sure to rub with no lift what about a 2 1/2” lift?

>It won't rub unless you flex it out. My truck had 33's and no lift when I got it, and I COULDN't rub tires, even in the rear(they stuffed just fine), with the swaybar hooked up.

I think that would include the front bushings anyway.

>Depends on the company. Always ask! I know ORD sells them with their kits, from what their site says.

I will defiantly be adding the bolt on steering box brace.

>Good idea, even unlifted.

If I replace shocks now will stock length shocks fit with 2 ½” lift?

>Not recommended.

I plan to drive mostly on highway and haul my fly fishing gear on forest service roads, so I don’t need a serious rock crawler. If I stay with no lift would extending the bump stops a little be a good idea?

Not if you have the swaybar connected. From what you say about how you use your truck, I'd say no. You probably want it on for drivability, anyway. Hope this helped.

Anthony