Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift or no lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Intense Blue, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Intense Blue

Intense Blue Registered Member

i have an 87 k5 at stock height with 31x10.50 on it and i want to put on 33x12.5 super swamper thornbirds. i know 33 will fit on the rear at stock height but on the front i'm thinking maybe add-a-leaf will give me the tire clearance. i use this truck as a daily driver and sometimes pull a car trailer, mainly truck would be just for looks ( no off road use )my question is what can i get to lift my truck to get the tire clearance but yet not interupt the smooth soft ride???

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You could use a body-lift,instead of a spring lift. Whatever you do don't buy Thornbirds those tires suck!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>Welcome to Bucketheadland</a>

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

A body lift maybe, there cheap and will give you the clearence you are gunna want. DO NOT RUN THORNBIRDS. You will regret it. They ride terrible. If you want an aggresive looking tire go with Wrangler IIs or the KM Mud Terrain.

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

2.5" lift springs are smooth i've heard and they'll give you the clearance to run 33s i think, but DON'T run thornbirds. they suck bad, my friend's stuckbirds (thornbirds) are wearing unevenly and he is always getting stuck!

people that get good mileage aren't having any fun!
    scott,
    1989 GMC suburban 3/4t 4" lift finally rollin on 36" swampers, tbi350, th350, np241

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

2.5 inches of lift would get you plenty of room for 33's. The other thing you could do if this is an onroad only truck is Offroad Design 1" addadleaves front and rear to clear 33's. They would probably rub on full flex though. I got a 2.5 inch lift, and I like it. It rides a little rougher then stock, but not bad. If I only used one of the front dual shocks it would ride better too. But rough rides don't bother me. Also as stated before, don't run thornbirds, they suck. They are poser tires. Get a set of BFG's or Goodyear MTR's if you want a badass looking tire. These tires actually work. Not to mention that they wear and ride much better. You will be alot happier with yourself if you do.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.