Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift or not 2" lift -- Need opinions -- 89 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by mstencel, Jun 23, 2002.

1. mstencel

mstencel Registered Member

Lift or not 2\" lift -- Need opinions -- 89 K5

Ok...I posted here last week, and I've gotten some great responses. I am trying to improve the ride on my 89 K5. 4 Wheel Parts says a 2" softride lift will help the ride, but so far my experience with 4WP is not too good. I've found a few posts on this message board that say a lift will stiffen the ride. I'm running basically stock suspension with new Pro Comp 3000 shocks. My main goal is to improve the ride on city streets, so please consider that in your response. Also considering Velvet Ride for the rear. Suggestions? Comments? Opinions? Thanks...MS

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Lift or not 2\" lift -- Need opinions -- 89 K5

I think you can get a much better ride without a new lift. It will require some elbow grease on your part but not too much money. I would install greasable shackle bolts both front and rear and keep them lubed. You could also remove the spring packs from the truck and rebuld them. The idea is to buff them smooth, radius the ends of the individual leafs and add some teflon slip pads to the ends of each leaf. Also use an epoxy paint on each leaf. After doing all that to the spring packs they should be quite a bit more capable of moving through their range of motion.

Next on the list is to evaluate the stiffness of your shocks. I have RS5000 shocks and they contribute to a harsh ride...but I'm not sure if the shocks you have are similar or valved a little softer. Rancho does make an adjustable shock that you could tailor to your preference...it's the 9000 series.

Lastly, a K5 is a straight axle leaf sprung truck...there is almost no way to make it ride like a newer IFS truck. you can make the ride aceptable though.

Rene

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Lift or not 2\" lift -- Need opinions -- 89 K5

My point of view is, if you don't have to lift it, don't. Once the center of gravity is raised, you lose cornering ability. Its not like these things handle like they are on rails, but making cornering even worse to try and soften up straightaway's isn't the route *I'd* take.

As Rene said, these aren't IFS trucks, and IFS *will* ruin you, if thats all you've known, then buy a solid axle truck and expect the ride to be the same....