Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Plan - What am I going to screw up?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BGKYK5, Apr 17, 2007.

1. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I just picked up a rusted out piece of junk '89 K5 (or should I say V5?). In about 10 years when I am done fixing the rust (or swapping on a different body) I plan to lift it about 7" to clear 38-40" tires with some fender trimming. The vehicle will be a semi-daily driver and mudder, trail rider, and occasional rockcrawler. Here is my plan:

Body: 1” Body Lift

Up Front:

Stock or 2” lift 52” springs with about 6” shackles and maybe a 1” zero rate add-a-leaf.

Out Back:

Stock 64” springs with 6” shackles, an ORD 4” shackle flip, and maybe a 1” zero rate add-a-leaf.

Questions:

Pros and cons of this plan?

How is my math? Will this get me in the 7” total lift range?

Pros and cons of 52” front and 64” rear springs in general?

How far off center are the pins in those springs?

As long as I am moving at least one spring hanger on each end of the truck (and redoing steering, shocks, brake lines, and driveshafts), should I increase the wheelbase a little? Is a longer wheelbase, and shorter overhangs worth the higher probability of high centering? It doesn’t look like I could move the rear axle back much without hitting the gas tank, but with crossover steering the front could go forward a little. ORD’s zero rate add-a-leaf look like the easy way to make small wheelbase changes.

Does anybody run 56” front springs? It looks like there would be enough room.

Any issues with swapping in a D60 front and 14 bolt with this setup in the future after I have blown up my ten bolts?

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

Buy a membership here and search for your answer.

Every question you are asking has been answered at least a dozen times on this site.

3. BGKYK5

BGKYK5 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh, you have to pay to play around here, I didn't know. My bad. I guess I asked to many questions for a freebee. Due to current circumstances I'm not going to be able to get to any of that for quite a while. I just wanted to know what parts to keep an eye out for in case I stumbled across a screaming deal between now and then. Sorry to waste your time.

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Ok look out for a Dana 60 front and a 14Bff Rear and regear them to mabe 4.88s or 5.13s and dont wast your time with the 10Bs with that big of tires.

Just imagin driving down the street at say 30-35 and you brake an axle then you will have to pay who ever gets hit by a 120+lbs tire,drum,and axle going 30-35. Think of it that way