Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift pump idea/question

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by jarheadk5, Mar 8, 2006.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I have a 6.2 from an '87 C10 that's getting swapped into my '87 K5 to replace the TBI 305. My K5 has the in-tank TBI pump, which is supposed to put out about 12-16psi. The 6.2 has what appears to be a mechanical lift pump on it (same place, same appearance as a gasser's mech. fuel pump).

Anyone see any issues with leaving the TBI pump in the tank to feed the mechanical lift pump on the engine?

I'm planning to leave the K5's stock fuel filter in place (in-line, in the pass. framerail) - any issues with this? I'm still gonna use the diesel-specific filter at the firewall (the rectangular-box-type from the donor truck) as well.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I don't know about the filter may be too restricting is the only concern I would have if any ( no knowledge on how retrictive it is) but the pump in tank is actually a good thing to have, a lot of guys are adding that to help with the fuel flow and help purging air from the system when they run out of fuel.
    :D

3. maynardogle

maynardogle 1/2 ton status

I don't think the pump in the tank will have a problem pumping diesel fuel...Having replaced a couple, I think putting the pump in the tank on any vehicle is asinine. But... you run what you got sometimes. If you leave the pump in the tank...you can bypass the mechanical pump.

4. 84zz4ss

84zz4ss 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I would look into a 6.5 lift pump. It will mount to the frame rail using the existing lines from your Tbi. It puts out around 7psi. It is more convenient that the in tank with the advantages of electric.

Good luck