Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Q's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, Dec 19, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I want to lift my blazer 4" or so this spring. I have heard about swapping springs for the rear of a blazer up front (52"? I think). I heard it nets about 4-5" lift. Do you need to move the spring hangers when you do this? I would also like to either buy or build a shackle flip. Any info on this would be appreciated. How long of shocks would I need? Would I need ford towers?

2. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

I believe you do have to move the spring mounts forward a bit to use the 52's, but im not entirely sure someone else will chime in, plently of people here have done it. There is a write up on this site in the tech section on a homebrew shackflip. You also dont need ford shock towers its just a recommendation because the chevy brakets are quite weak(2 rivets) and break alot.

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Do you plan on street driving the truck much? I have read that 52" front spring swaps make the truck flex really well but I have also heard that it hurts road manner and makes driving the truck on the street iffy.

I imagine it has to do with the added flex causing alot of body roll.

If it is a truck that see's a fair amount of road use then you might be better off with a more standard front lift spring. If you drive it alot then you might look into a more flexy rear suspension and a little stiffer front. Something in the back like a 56" shackle flip or a Springer etc.

Harley

4. Hossbaby50

P.S. if you want to do 52's up front you will need Ford towers, the longest shocks you can get, you will have to move the front spring mount and you will have to move the rear shackle around and get a new rear shackle. Steering can be an issue to depending on what you have already.

If you run standard push pull steering then you might avoid 52's till you have crossover. 52's would probably play havic with PP steering since it won't flex enough. Do a search on 52" spring swaps and you will find lots of info.

Harley

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Couldn't you fab up a larger sway bar if you drive alot on the street, then unbolt it before you go wheeling?

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

So about the 52's being too flexy for the standard steering, any experience with this? Any hard facts? Experience? So I would have to move around the spring hanger and shackle to get the shackle angle right etc. Hmmmmm, I dunno; may be more work than its worth if I don't have that extreme of wheeling places....

7. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Alright, update..... It looks like lengthening the driveshaft, getting ford tower, extreme long shocks, extended brake lines, moving spring hanger (possible moving shackle position, and going to cross over are all necessary upgrades. It would be sweet when it was done but thats alot of $$$ I'm not going to have access to. Back to the drawing board.

8. Hossbaby50

I don't have 1st hand experience with 52's and standard steering. I do have experience with my Tuff Country springs and stock steering and can tell you when you are flexing with those they will max out stock steering.

If you have ever been flexed out offroad and couldn't turn left then you have experienced the limitations of stock steering. 52's will magnify that alot and it will probably end up maxing out the TRE and DLE and eventually break your draglink. It will likely pull the TRE or DLE pin right out of the cup and leave you with no steering at all.

Stock steering draglinks are to short to deal with alot of flex and when they flex out the stock steering geometry gets way out of whack and you don't have any steering power or leverage. This is why Chevy's have a problem with steering when flexed, especially when you try and turn left when you are drooping the left tire.

Harley

9. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

ccc

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  10. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Deaver springs are top dollar! If you can get a good deal on them then that'd be awesome but if not I'll buy yours. Then we can just do the entire swap at once when we do the axles etc.