Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by climbingmadman2000, Oct 12, 2004.

1. climbingmadman2000

climbingmadman2000 Registered Member

How hard is it to do a mild suspension lift yourself? Suppose I want to lift my K5 a couple inches to fit 33's. Can a backyard mechanic install the new springs, etc needed? Do I need to worry about changing axle ratios?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I suggest a helper or two . It is a pain to move the axles yourself . And safer with someone helping too . But it can be done yourself if you must .

33's will need a new ratio , but if you are strapped for cash I know for a fact that 3.08's will work with 33's for a while .

I am still driving mine on 3.08's with a 700 and a 305 motor /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i did my 1 ton swap shackle flip 6 in lift ETC... by my self so ya no problems!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

It can be done alone no problem, I did it to mine. But I have a garage and a few items which eased along the process. Your results may differ but on a '79 northeastern K5 (rotbox) I used many misc air tools, sawzall, and cutting torch as well as jack stands and 2 floor jacks. It can be done with a small craftsman tool set but be prepared for a lot of swearing if you have bad rust.