Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by lukc22, May 25, 2005.

1. lukc22

lukc22 Registered Member

my friend has a 82 silverado with 6 inch lift just installed ... the front driveshaft is now 3 inches too short... how do we fix that?? is there some shim kit for the front and back to rotate the axles upward??

2. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

you can buy shims in a number of different degrees, but i dont think you will get 3 inches out of it.

your best bet is to get a new driveshaft made or get the stock one lengthend

3. 4wheelin4Jesus

4wheelin4Jesus 1/2 ton status

deffinately get the new drive shaft. dont rig it up to try to get 3 inches. it can be done, but you will probably find yourself underneath it soon installing the longer shaft.

4. lukc22

lukc22 Registered Member

anyone know how much a new front shaft would be??

5. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

it depends , I have paid $150 for one to be made longer ,and I paid $250 to have another one made beefier when the $150 one broke first time out :mad:I made one for the front of my jeep and it has been fine , but thats probably because I dont drive that fast in 4wheel drive

6. lukc22

lukc22 Registered Member

can I take the stock one to a friend and have him add 3 inches to it?? or does this need to be done professionaly?? I am just trying to see if this truck will be worth it ....

7. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

on the front you can get away with more because of the lower speeds you run in 4x4. yes I cut the one in my jeep in half , and then sleaved the two ends over a piece that fit very tight inside.