Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Question..........................

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyDrivnRdneck, Dec 17, 2002.

1. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

I have a 95 k20. I want to lift it, but I am confused about the IFS. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif I don't plan to take this one off road to any extremes...mud....snow, not planning anything else for this truck. Is it worth investigating the strait axle swap?? Or should I just keep the IFS because I'm not planning on beating this one up any harsh terrain?? Thanks for any input!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> The SFA swap is not a cheap way to go, if you aren't planning on abusing it then it's unlikely that it will be worth the time or expense required. The 3/4 ton IFS is quite a bit stronger than the 1/2 ton stuff anyways, unless you are going to put 35"+ tires on it then there should be no durability problems. </font color>

3. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

Thanks Shaggy......You'll see it Monday /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

IMHO the straight axle is well worth it for several reasons.

1. Less moving parts
    2. Bigger Stronger axle gained ie. D60
    3. Swap is no harder than an IFS lift
    4. Can be done for same amount or less of an IFS lift
    5. Way more articulation than a lifted IFS
    6. The Cool factor when your done with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    4. Can be done for same amount or less of an IFS lift

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> This is a bit of a misconception. IF you find an axle that does not need to be regeared or rebuilt, and you can make your own brackets, then it can be fairly inexpensive. Less than a self-installed IFS lift is highly unlikely though. A certain member of this site did it RIGHT, fully rebuilt HP Ford D60 with ORU brackets and all the trimmings to make it right the first time, and he spent over $10k on the whole swap. Sounds crazy, but the little stuff really adds up. </font color>

6. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I guess I should have not included that in my reasons for swapping over to a SFA instead of the IFS lift /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Your right all the little stuff adds up quick especially if you buy everything you would need to do the swap correctly, like you stated. I was thinking more along the line of used parts ie axle, springs, make own brackets, driveshaft, etc,etc.

I guess your talking about the 1 ton crew cab, that truck is a work of art, first class all the way.

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

I was at a 4x4 shop on the weekends and my boss has a '90 1/2 ton he had it lifted up for a wile on 35 but before I stated working there he had alot of problems with it i think anyways he recentaly payed some guy like to do a d44 up front and a 14boltFF he let me drive it around a little and its rides ROUGH but I guess its because its lifted so hight the SFA trucks ive been in ride fine I probably just gave you a bunch of useless info but I really like a SFA and If I were you I would do it