Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift question???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hektyk, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I have a 4 inch lift on my truck. Rancho Shocks in the front the RS5000 and i have the four inh blocks in the back. Is there a way i can turn that into a 6 inch besides a body lift? I want to add a couple more inches to the suspension and also use the 3 inch body lift. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Sell it and buy a 6. There is no real acceptable way to modify 4" front springs to go to 6. In the rear you could install an add-a-leaf. You'll need new shocks, too. Most shocks that come with a 4" are too short for that, and will be maxed out on a 6, if they even fit.

3. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Ya I plan on upgradeing to the Rancho RS9000s with the adjustable knobs. If I did the add-a-leafs in the rear would my rear sit up higher then the front?

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Until you got new front springs it would.

5. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

Well would it be cheaper to just sell the 4 inch kit and by a 6 inch kit. Also who has a cheap one.

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

7. st08x

st08x Registered Member

how about putting 2 in shackles in the front and 6in blocks in the rear? u would still have to get another set of shocks but it would only be under $75 for the 2 shackles and 6 in rear blocks. I'm planning on doing this for my truck but its off of a 6in lift

My K-5

8. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    how about putting 2 in shackles in the front and 6in blocks in the rear? u would still have to get another set of shocks but it would only be under $75 for the 2 shackles and 6 in rear blocks. I'm planning on doing this for my truck but its off of a 6in lift

My K-5

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can you buy the stuff though? Can you buy just the blocks?

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

get a pair of 6" BDS springs for the front. Out back, you could get 2" springs to go with your 4" blocks (prolly ok if you arent a hardcore wheeler)... or a combination of a shackle flip and new springs if your rig is goin the hardcore way.

to cheap alternative that I use and seems to work well is to use 4" springs up front along with a 1" ORD zero rate add a leafs... and then in the back use stock springs, + 4" shackle flip + the 1" zero rates. yeah, it gives ya 1 less inch than the 6" kit would... but if you already have a 4" setup it saves a lot ca$h and gets rid of the blocks too....

As far as shocks go, get rid of the quads up front.. especially ones as stiff as RS5000s. I highly recommend Doetsch Tech DT8000s unless you have a need for adjustable shocks (like...ummm... towing?) or you're just rich. DT8000s are looong travel, beefy, and half the cost of RS9000s. the 9000s are unquestionably good shocks, but unless you have a need for an adjustable shock, why pay the extra $?

my 2 cents.

j

10. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    get a pair of 6" BDS springs for the front. Out back, you could get 2" springs to go with your 4" blocks (prolly ok if you arent a hardcore wheeler)... or a combination of a shackle flip and new springs if your rig is goin the hardcore way.

to cheap alternative that I use and seems to work well is to use 4" springs up front along with a 1" ORD zero rate add a leafs... and then in the back use stock springs, + 4" shackle flip + the 1" zero rates. yeah, it gives ya 1 less inch than the 6" kit would... but if you already have a 4" setup it saves a lot ca$h and gets rid of the blocks too....

As far as shocks go, get rid of the quads up front.. especially ones as stiff as RS5000s. I highly recommend Doetsch Tech DT8000s unless you have a need for adjustable shocks (like...ummm... towing?) or you're just rich. DT8000s are looong travel, beefy, and half the cost of RS9000s. the 9000s are unquestionably good shocks, but unless you have a need for an adjustable shock, why pay the extra $?

my 2 cents.

j

[/ QUOTE ]

OK Slight climbing mostly mudding and dirt trails. I like the shackle flip and add a leaf idea /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. How much would it cost total for all of it ioncluding shocks. Also would I need differant shout mounts up front?

11. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i'm not too sure about pricing, it all depends on what kind of parts u use, and what kind of shocks ur planning on getting, as for the shock mounts up front u should have to do anything but just put on one shock.

My K-5

12. Hektyk

Hektyk Registered Member

ahhhh i see. Cool. Do you think it will be under 400 dollars with the shocks that jekbrown suggested the dt8000s.

13. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i think if a lift kit is about around $500, it should be less than $400 for just extra parts.

My K-5