Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4wood, Oct 6, 2003.

1. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Ok, it's time to give the old girl a suspension lift. Here is the big question, though: How high can I go before I need to get longer brake lines, shocks, drop the t-case and regear? My research seems to indicate that 3" is the cut off, so I'm thinking I will get 3" springs for the front and a 2" shackle flip for the rear with a 1" add-a-leaf. Suggestions? Comments?

Thanks.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Such a thing as a two inch shackle flip??

3. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

a kit like skyjacker and superlift has all of that (shocks,springs,misc) to complete your lift.A 4" kit sounds like what you need. As far as regearing that depends on the tire size you plan on running not lift...........................

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yes, ORD sells both a 2" and a 4" shackle flip. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

if you want a cheap lift Ill be selling my 4inch superlift soon PM me if interested

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, it's time to give the old girl a suspension lift. Here is the big question, though: How high can I go before I need to get longer brake lines, shocks, drop the t-case and regear? My research seems to indicate that 3" is the cut off, so I'm thinking I will get 3" springs for the front and a 2" shackle flip for the rear with a 1" add-a-leaf. Suggestions? Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

unless you have lots of flex in your suspension, you can go up to 4" with the stock length brake lines. You are prolly running with an anti-sway bar, so your stock ones should be fine... for now. With shocks, you'll need some longer ones. I really like DT8000s myself... they are good n cheap and they work about as well as any low-priced shock will. Whatever you do, avoid super stiff shocks like the RS5000. Dropping the tcase... not sure about 87s, but my 85 had factory 1" spacers on the tcase x-member that you can use to lower the the thing a bit. This will help with driveline angles and driveline lengths... but if you have lots of suspension flex, your shafts will need to be lengthened. If I was you and on a tight budget... this is what I'd do...

front springs: 4" BDS springs from www.jdsoffroad.com
    pitman: find someone here on ck5 than has gone x-over and get a drop pitman cheap
    rear: 4" shackle flip from ORD
    tcase: use factory spacers if ur rig has em, if not various lift companies make little spacer kits.
    u-bolts: go to a local spring shop, they can make em cheap
    shocks: DT8000s from summit, oughta be $35-ish each, free shipping.

with that stuff you can lift 4". For Phase II of your lift...

ORD HD front shackles with greasable bushings
    ProComp stainless brake lines
    lengthen driveshafts if needed for max flex
    ditch the factory anti-sway bar

which will round out the lift nicely.

j

7. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Ok, so tire size determines the need to regear. What tire size necessitates regearing? I would probably go 35x12.50x15. What ratio would I need then, 3.56?

Would I get better flex if I did a 2" shackle flip and 2" springs for the rear than a 4" shackle flip? As for the sway bar, I found a sway bar disconnect kit for $87 that will accomodate a 2" lift that I was planning on getting. I suppose I could use spacers or something to modify for a 4".

As far as the driveline, is it necessarily better to get a high angle driveline than dropping the t-case? If I don't have the aforementioned spacers, where can I get some shackles?

8. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

Anyone...anyone? Bueller?

9. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

Did you mean 4.56, not 3.56? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I would think your necessary gear ratio would be based on your transmission (3 or 4 speed) and whether you would want to be able to use an overdrive gear effectively on the highway or not.

As far as lowering the TCase, my X-Member (87 /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif, NP208) just has 2 1"X1"X +/-6" peices of hollow? metal on top of the frame rail where the X-Member is bolted, with the X-Member bolts running through the metal piece, which has holes to accomodate the X-Member bolts. Remove the bolts holding the X-Member, remove the spacers and put them between the X-Member and Frame, resulting in a 1" lowered TCase. If you dont have these spacers, it would seem all you really need is 2 sturdy hunks of metal of identical size and shape (ideally /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif) with holes drilled in them to allow the TCase X-Member bolts to go through. I bet this could be done on the cheap.

10. paveslave

paveslave Registered Member

Dropping the tcase in this manner would slightly change the angle of your forward drive train. Is it enough to be cocerned with pinion angle? Does the dshaft need to be shimmed for pinion alignment?

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Ok, so tire size determines the need to regear. What tire size necessitates regearing? I would probably go 35x12.50x15. What ratio would I need then, 3.56?

[/ QUOTE ]

4.56... would be closer to optimal, but it depends on which tranny/tcase you have...

[ QUOTE ]
    Would I get better flex if I did a 2" shackle flip and 2" springs for the rear than a 4" shackle flip?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, in general, the more a spring is arched (for lift) the stiffer it is.

[ QUOTE ]
    As for the sway bar, I found a sway bar disconnect kit for $87 that will accomodate a 2" lift that I was planning on getting. I suppose I could use spacers or something to modify for a 4".

[/ QUOTE ]

or just get the ORD one for 4" lifts... forget the price, but it aint very expensive.

[ QUOTE ]
    As far as the driveline, is it necessarily better to get a high angle driveline than dropping the t-case?

[/ QUOTE ]

in general, you want your tcase tucked up as high as you can get it so it doesnt drag on rocks etc. Some posers lift their rigs 12" and then drop the tcase 12" so their drivelines will work... well, whats the point in that?! custom drivelines can be expensive but IMO they are worth it. You could prolly save some $ by getting some cheap shaft parts from a junk yard (yokes, CVs etc) and have a local shop make you a shaft with the parts u supply. I dunno, Im sure some peeps here have done it. i took the easy/$pendy way out and got some HADs. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    If I don't have the aforementioned spacers, where can I get some shackles?

[/ QUOTE ]

the spacers are inside the frame rails if ya have em. not sure what ya mean by shackles... but the best way to lower a tcase without those spacers is to a) buy an aftermarket tcase drop kit, b) make or have made some of ur own spacers, or c) have a custom x-member made.

j

12. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Would I get better flex if I did a 2" shackle flip and 2" springs for the rear than a 4" shackle flip?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, in general, the more a spring is arched (for lift) the stiffer it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suppose I want a middle ground between off-road performance and towing/hauling capability (for which stiffer springs would be ideal). Would the 2" shackle flip and 2" springs be the best bet in that case?

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have a 700R4 I would go with 4.88's, I have 4.10's right now and even with my very torquey 406 it still would be nice to have lower gears. lots of guys will say 5.13's but then your getting too low for your Overdrive to work effectivly as a "gas saver" gear on the highway.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I personally would go 5.13s just to be ready for future investment, but 4.56 or 4.88 would be fine too. If you're gonna stay on 35s, 4.88 would be fine.

15. 4wood

4wood 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] no, in general, the more a spring is arched (for lift) the stiffer it is.

[/ QUOTE ] Suppose I want a middle ground between off-road performance and towing/hauling capability (for which stiffer springs would be ideal). Would the 2" shackle flip and 2" springs be the best bet in that case?

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone?