Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift questions for 35's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 82K5_6.5L, Mar 5, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

lift questions for 35\'s?

ok well i have decided to get some 35's!! well i have a 3.5" suspension lift right now and 33's, should i go up to like 4", its only 1/2 inch difference??? also will i need to get new driveshafts for bigger tires? because i dropped my t-case like 1/2 inch right now cuz the driveshafts were extended to far. so what should i do guys?
    thanx
    Justin

2. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Re: lift questions for 35\'s?

Dont change the lift, no you shouldnt need new drive shafts especially if you lowered your TC. get out the cutting tools and cut away what hits. With 35's on you should not have to cut much. This keeps a lower center of gravity and looks much better. Your u joints will like you better this way too.

3. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

sweet..so u think 3.5" is enough??? well ok sounds good...what gears should i get for my 10bolts? i have 3.42's now, should i upgrade to like 4.10's or something?? for now i am gonna use the 10 bolts and later on get a 12 bolt or something?

4. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Keep the 3.5" and trim the fenders. Since you have OD, I would go with 4.56 gears for the best overall performance on and off road.

5. spoolnaround

What kind of wheeling do you do? Do you pound the pavement alot? I dont think I would bother with a 12 bolt, go out and find a 14ff if you want to upgrade, cheap and plentiful. The ideal set up if you dont plan on going bigger than 35's is finding a 14ff and 44 or 10 out of a 3/4 ton truck with 410's, cost about the same as regearing your 10 bolts if you have someone else do it anyway. If you plan on going to say 38's or bigger save the $$ and go 60f and 14ff out back. If you really dont pound your truck keep the 10 bolts. Basically 35" tires are about the biggest I would go with a 10 or 12 bolt or a D-44.

6. spoolnaround

Here is the trimming I did to get my 38.5's to fit with a 6" lift
    [​IMG]

7. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

cool..sounds good, well this truck is my daily driver and i only go wheelin like 2-4 times a month, nothing serious...but i think i will stay with the 10's, get some new gears to turn the 35's and eventually get better axles..well thanx

8. spoolnaround

Before you regear that thing go look for a set of axles from a 3/4 ton. You might spend less for the 3/4 ton stuff than it will cost you to regear stuff that is weaker. Figure in what you can sell the 10 bolt stuff for as well. Don short change yourself. Its cost me less money to do it right the first time around than break a bunch of stuff and have to do it right later. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. hardcore_rob

hardcore_rob 1/2 ton status

cant really tell you about regearing, i havent done mine. will leave the current gears in my 14ff and dana 60 front. i can tell you that my 3 inch lift and 35s work ok. trimmed just a bit to prevent rubbing in tight situations, but could have probably got away without it at all, depending on how hard core i get to take my truck off road...

10. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you like the qualities your current lift has then keep it. If you hate the ride, performance, ect now would be a good time to replace it. You will need to trim either for 35s either way, its just a matter of how much. You can move the front axle forward & lift 1" w/ one of ORD's zero rates and get a new block for the rear (assuming you have a rear block or add one if you don't) to lessen the amount of triming. If I had a 10B rear I wouldn't swap to a 12B. I would get a SF14B (r) and new 8 lug outers (f). The FF14B is too big for 35s unless you are building a tow rig, not a wheeler.

11. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I would get a SF14B (r) and new 8 lug outers (f).

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you can get a SF 14bolt 6 lug and keep your front, wheels, and tires.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I would get a SF14B (r) and new 8 lug outers (f). The FF14B is too big for 35s unless you are building a tow rig, not a wheeler.

[/ QUOTE ] Why ??? Think cost. All boils down to what a person plans to do with thier rig. For my app, the FF is perfect even with 35"s.

13. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

chicks dig fender trimming