Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift questions. Just curious right now.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Apr 18, 2007.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, so once I get my truck up and running, I'm gonna be looking for options to get more lift on it. Right now I have some very worn out 4" springs on the front, and worn out add-a-leafs + blocks in the rear.

So the question is, would I be better off to go with a 6" lift kit from a company like Superlift or Tuff Country, and just get a T-case lowering kit and extended brake lines?

OR

Would I be better off getting a 4" all spring lift, and using a rear shackle flip and some type of extended front shackles to achieve my 4" of lift? I'm not all that sure how shackle flips work, and exactly how much lift they give you, and I definitely don't understand the front shackle setup, but that's why I'm asking for advice.

I will probably be going with a 14BFF and D44 and probably try to run around a 37" tire. Any advice/input would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

You can get 4" lift springs from a ton of different manufacturers.

The shackle flip replaces the bracket that houses your rear shackle on your rear springs. If you get a shackle flip, you will net ~4" lift and you still use your stock rear springs.

3. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

But what do I do about the front? How do I even it out up there? So if I used 4" springs and a shackle flip, I'd be at like 8" of lift? I dunno if I want to go that high because I don't want to have to get my driveshaft extended and whatever else is involved.

4. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

Just get a set of 4" lift springs for the front and a 4" shackle flip in the rear and your done.

5. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

4" of lift for 37's??? Uh, prolly just my personal preferance but I'd shoot 6" lift in the front, 6" springs in the back. I'm not saying a shackle flip is a bad idea, but I'd rather go with a solid spring. 4" IMHO is NOT enough to clear and you will do some fender crunching and tire damage. Go with 6" for sure, if not 8". Superlift 6 or 8, or even BDS will do the job.

Maybe I'm still old school. Time to get more modernized I guess. I just love big, but not stupidly built trucks!

Manny

6. Chrisblazzer89

I run 38.5 tsl swampers on a 4" lift with no problem and just a lil trumming I also do only mud and trails

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

some of it depends on what you do. I stay out of mud as much as possible, but run trails and rock. I run 4-5" and 37's with minor trimming. Honestly, I want to lower mine down a little or get 39's. My COG is just too high.

8. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I said I want a 4" lift kit then a shackle flip to acheive my 6" lift. How would I get that extra 2 or 3 inches in the front?

9. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Manny, that's exactly what I wanted to know. Whether I should combine lift springs with a shackle flip to get the proper amount of lift, or whether to buy the whole kit and have an all spring 6" lift.

Either way, I want at least 6" of lift, and hopefully won't have to do any extreme mods to my driveshafts. Just lower the transfer case a bit.

10. Chrisblazzer89

6" then yeah just get 6" springs front and rear then drop your t-case and hope you dont have to extend your driveshaft

11. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Alright, just making sure that would be the cheapest, easiest, and best choice for me. It's not gonna be an extreme rock crawler. Mostly just a mall crawler/trail runner/occassional mudder.

Oh, I was looking at the 6" lifts, and they have 2 different ones, one for a 3/4 ton and one for a 1/2 ton. If I was going to swap in a D44 and 14BFF, would I get the 3/4 ton kit? Or still stay with the 1/2 ton kit since my frame is still 1/2 ton?

Thanks for the input guys.

12. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Well, I went to BDS Suspension's web-site for ya. Here's your lift. It shows everthing that will happen, and what you get. No drive shaft mods needed with a 6" lift. Don't panic on the price, you can get it cheaper, just shop around, but I think you realize already that lifting a vehicle is by no means a $5.99 Happy Meal.

BDS Suspension 6" Lift for 87 GMC Jimmy 1500 4WD

Hope that helps.

Manny

13. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

6" all the way around - get a set of 6" springs for the front, 2" for the back and a shackle flip. Or just get 2" zero rates for the back to use with your stock springs.

14. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

CBBR, the problem is, I don't have my stock springs anymore. I have VERY worn out rear springs with add-a-leafs and blocks to get my 4" in the back. They're hardly even arc'd anymore.

15. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Thanks for that link Manny. The price scared me at first cuz i've seen them cheaper, but that one comes with EVERYTHING I would need, other than the extended brake lines. I think that's all I would need anyway...

16. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I've actually found Superlift's for cheaper. I thought $1157 was the all inclusive price on that, but when I got to the customize section, it looks like you have to pay extra for the t-case drop kit, etc...

17. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

I wouldn't be so hasty on dropping your TC down. I just lifted my truck with a Superlift 10" kit and have to get new drive shafts by Jesse at HAD. My Superlift 8" which was on the truck when I bought it, had the TC Drop already installed. This will worsen your angles up front. Jesse has told me to remove the TC drop and restore to stock angles. If I have to do that on a 10" lift, taking into account you have a Blazer type body, then I have to say, you won't need it on yours.

I would call or PM Jesse and ask for his .02 cents.

www.highangledriveline.com

Just food for thought. Either BDS or Superlift on a 6" will get you where you want to go. Although I suspect that the softride BDS will be a little more forgiving for your mall crawling adventures. My 8" was no kidney buster, but heavy bumps or potholes I did feel. Jury is still out on the Superlift 10".

Manny

18. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Well shoot, if I'm gonna have to get my driveshafts lengthened either way, I might as well go with a 10" lift then. I was just trying to go as high as I could without having to do so many expensive mods to my drivelines and what-not.

19. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Nad,

You should not have to get your shafts lengthened. That's why I said for you to contact Jesse. He'll tell you for sure. On a 6" lift you should not have to get shafts done. My 8" lift did not require any mods to the drive shafts so I can't see why 6" would for you. I have friends who have 6" lifts in their blazers K-5 and no extensions were necessary.

Manny

20. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

Okay, well I e-mailed that company that you posted the link to and asked. My 4" lift looks like it's pushing the drive angles pretty bad. And my t-case linkage got out of line when i lifted it? Is that anything to do with needing the lower the t-case or lengthen the shafts?

Thanks Manny, I appreciate your help.