Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Apr 17, 2000.

So if I decide to get a 4 inch lift and run 35's(currently running 33's) will I have to worry about changing gears? I think I have a 3:43 ratio. Also, by putting on bigger tires, will I have a better chance of cracking the frame near the steering box?(if there is any logic in me asking that)
    thanks,

<font color=red>ABO</font color=red>

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Yes and Yes
    I would do a gear swap and reinforce the frame at your steering box. Better to do the frame reiforcement BEFORE the crack happens! The gearing can wait you just may have some poor power to the ground! Good Luck

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    The gears can wait IF you have a extra $1300 to replace your transmission <font color=red> sorry, it used to say rearend, I miss spoke my self, this is a later correction </font color=red>. I'm on my 2nd transmission with the 3ed sitting in the shed waiting for a chance to R&R the destroyed 700 that is somehow still holding up in the truck. So, if you don't have a problem with your steering area of the frame, It can wait. Like I said, I've already spent over $1800 in transmissions for my truck. A simple gear change could have avoided my problem. Oh, and I only went up to 31's. Atleast don't use OD.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. buttman

buttman Registered Member

Your transmision will probably go soon if you put 35's on, mine did. I have close to 5 grand in my rear end. I also have a small crack in the fram by my steering box. Ive been driving with it like thay for a while. I havent been wheeling either.and also If you put 35's on your Blazer and you plan on doing some off roading your probably going to want to trim your front fenders, I found out the hard way that i didnt have enough clearance. You might want to put a reinforcent bracket on yout fram, that depends on how much time you spend off road, and as for the tranny save up all the money you can and wait until it goes good luck, John Buttman

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

$5grand in your rear end? Did you go to a "rip-u-off-shop" or something?

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I gotta be paranoid or something (something like having had to spend $2000 for a complete front frame section grafted on to my 75 Blazer with the 454 and 35" tires about 5 years ago.......) so I would FIX that crack in the frame, Buttman. Only my opinion, but having large tires does seem to increase that problem, seems to make sense as there is more leverage on the frame from the lift needed to clear those tires, plus the added weight........my opinion was the mangy 454 I had (that rumpety cam too) had so much torque it tended to "twist" the frame a bit, adding to the problem. Plus I wasn't paying attention to the damn thing wandering all over the road, and finally when I noticed the crack, it was practically sheared off! Took it to Gresham Off Road to have the frame repair done, he took one peek at it and said, "NOPE. No saving this one".......FIX the frame if you see any crack........and if you have the $65 plus labor to have it welded in, pay the money. I hope no one goes through the frame transplant like I did, it sucked. Never trusted that truck again.......

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. buttman

buttman Registered Member

Steve yes I know that that is a bit much to pay for a brand new rear end. I didnt pay that the guy who owned it before me did. why do you think I bought the it? When I went to buy it I looked at the tires and asked how's the Tranny, than he told me that he just put a new one end. Since he was a buddy of mine he admitted how much he had spent and I laughed.She was sold rite there. I dont have to wory about that tranny for a while, so thats the story about that take care, John Buttman