Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nad, Apr 3, 2006.

1. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I'm a newbie still, and just lifted my truck 4". I kind of want it a bit bigger still, but I am worried about having to extend the drive shafts. Is it possible and safe to lift it 6" without having to extend driveshafts?? I know brake lines will need to be extended, but that's not that big of a deal. Also, would I need to extend my steering arm or pitman arm at all???

Also, doesn't ORD make some kind of shackle that I can add that 2" of extra lift with, instead of actually buying a totally new lift?

Any information/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks very much.

Dan

2. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

I ran a 6" BDS lift with stock driveshafts. It worked fine, I could still flex it all the way out (as much as a 6" spring will flex) with no problems. But i was going through rear u joints like every 2 months or so. For brake lines I just got like stock 1992 chevy 3500 front lines, and moved the rear.

3. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

more than 4" usually means driveline modification. brake lines, shocks, everything will need to be changed. ORD makes a kit to flip the shackle and you can get it in 2.5" and 4" lift, DIY4x also makes the 4" kit, but better. you could also throw a zero rate in the front and get a little more there. but going to 6" will also require a few pieces to be changed in the steering.

and dont forget about body lift. most dont like them including myself, but you can run a 4" sus lift and 3" body lift and be ok on drivelines and things. and you will have that 7" look.

4. nad

nad 1/2 ton status

I don't like the looks of body lifts. Plus, when you do them, don't you have to extend the throttle cable, and a whole bunch of other crap?

So if I use the shackle flips, would I have to extend drive shafts? If I put a zero rate in the front, it would sit higher than the back wouldn't it? What would have to be changed in the steering? Just a drop down steering arm?

Dan

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

i ran a 6 inch all spring on my 88 for 3 or 4 years and only had to shim down the transfer case with the supplied spacers and had no problems whatsoever.

you can do it easily with no worries

6. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

solid axle? are you talking about clocking a 241?.

what ever you do, if you havent done anything to your steering yet, you will have to. but a lot of "drop pitman arms" and thing like that are designed to work with both 4" and 6" lifts. body lifts usually require things like steering shaft modification, breaklines, extended wiring harnesses, etc. but it is an option. you can throw the 2.5 shackle flip in the rear, and a zero rate in the front. this will give you a bit more lift in the rear, but that is more like the factory look anyways.

things to think about when adding to your current lift: pinion angle, driveshaft length, longer brakelines, shocks, etc. you might need to shim your axles to get the proper pinion angle once you lift it more, and you might need longer driveshafts. people have varied results. you will probably need longer shocks with more travel, and longer breaklines.

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

He is talking about moving the spacers that come stock on the tcase crossmember to the top of the crossmember.

8. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

ok, didnt know about those. im more familiar with older stuff.

9. willymonster

willymonster 1/2 ton status

why are you afraid to lengthen the driveshafts ? its not that exspensive

10. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

leper has it right. the spacers are, from the factory, above the frame and if you move them below the frame between the crossmember and the frame it will lower your t-case down an inch or so.

i used a 6" steering arm in conjunction with the lift as well and had no problems with it. no driveline vibrations, no steering issues nothing.

go over 6" and you will have some more issues to deal with: brakelines, more steering issues, and front driveshaft issues.