Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift questions....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Well i have looked into this for a long time. and i will have the money in a while. i am wondering about one thing for the rear though.

should i go with 6 inch springs, 4 inch springs and the 2.5 inch shackle flip, or 2 inch springs and the 4 inch shackle flip?
    i would prefer to do a shackle flip because i am sure you get more flex out of it. i would prefer to do the 4 inch springs with the 2.5 flip. i will be switching to a 14ff at the same time.
    any input to this would help.
    Grant.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

if it was me i would do the 4in shackle flip and 2.5in spring with 6in springs in front (oh and i say 2.5in in back to compensate for rear sag) the 2.5in springs will give more flex than 4in springs HTH

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok i'm not sure i'm understanding you here. With 2.5 shackle and 4" springs(front I assume) you'll be sitting too low in the rear. With 2" front and 4" rear, you'll likely be sitting too high in the rear. Some folks complain of blazer sag, but mine sits level with a homeade 4" shackle flip and 4" tuff country ez rides on the front. Unless yours sags now, that's what I'd do. If it is a little low in the rear after that, you could get some custom shims (which you'll need anyway) with a little lift built in. Kinda like a 1" tapered block.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

nevermind...i'm a moron this weekend...IN THE REAR. D'oh!!! What size tires are you going to run?

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

5. Seventy4Blazer

debating on 38 or 39.5. not sure just yet.
    Grant

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in Yuma Arizona if ya got any parts for me.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

If you drive it on the street I would do the 6 inch springs. The shackle flip gives you alot of axle wrap. I did the 4inch tuff country ez ride up front and the 6 inch ez ride in the rear. Because the spings are so soft they articulate well. The 6inch springs in the rear make the blazer sit about level. little higher in the rear, but when you load it up with supplies it levels out.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

7. Seventy4Blazer

i wont be driving it on the street much. i own 4 cars. well 3 and my baby. but my main question is i guess would the 4 with 2.5 inch flip or the 2 inch springs and the 4 inch flip be best? i am not worried too much about cost ether way, it is about the same.
    Grant

8. DesertDueler

Where do you wheel at? I live in Phoenix. The reason I ask is because it depends on where you wheel out here. I also own four cars.:)

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs locked front.Other cars 69 Firebird w/525 hp,and 70 GTO <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>MY vehicles</a>

9. Seventy4Blazer

well i just moved out here to AZ and my blazer is still torn apart. and it will be for a while. i went out to lake metri and got bored that is about it.
    Grant

10. DesertDueler

I wheel out a Saugro Lake. Kind of far for you. There is also Florence Junction. Both great places to wheel. Out here its best not to lift that high, lots of off camber places. I would probably go the same setup I did. I was recomended this from a few different local 4x4 shops. I get plenty of articulation out of it and its not scary when your on off camber situations. When you lift them high or whit alot of articulation its easy to rolla top heavy blazer over.
    Let my know when you get it put together so we can go wheel.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

74, we should go wheeling one of these days, after the heat is gone. there are some places out by the river, and picachos and senators wash are nice too. I've been out to senators wash. lot of trails out there. I am out in el centro on most weekends.

later,

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I agree with Mudhog. If you get a lift spring with too much lift, they will be a stronger spring rate and yield less flex...... Keep the rear spring as close to stock as possible and go with a Soft Ride or Superride up front with a shackle flip in the rear!

Mike

<font color=green>"It's like a sore dick deal, You cant beat it!"</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

13. Seventy4Blazer

well everybody thanks for your help.
    ARQ, i would love to go wheeling with you. or anyone else for that fact. only thing is i need to get the cash to find a th400 that bolts up to a 203. and i need the plate.
    till then i am not putting my truck together.
    Grant