Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift questions

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 69K5, Dec 28, 2001.

1. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

Well I want to put new leafs on the rear of my blazer, but am afraid to use 30 year old ones and new ones are too expensive. My friend owns a junkyard and will let me have a set If I pull em off. I just need to Know if any chevy truck springs will fit as long as they are 52" long? I'm doing this so I can replace the ones I have for when I get the ORD shackle flip. Whenever I put on the 4" lift will I need to replace the pitman and steering arm both or just one of them.One last question. are add a leafs on the front dangerous? I'm thinking about trying to avoid a 1" body lift to clear 35's w/o fender trimming.
    thanks
    69K5 (nathan)

2. On springs I would also want to make sure the spring widths are similar. As long as your old springs don't have any broken leafs, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm using my original springs with the flip with no problem. I'm assuming your front axle is a closed knuckle Dana 44 since your Blazer is a 69. Mines a 3/4 ton pickup and it has the closed knuckle Dana 44. It has a different setup from the open knuckled later Dana 44's and the only way I was able to correct my steering was with a dropped drag link that I bought from ORD. I think Superlift builds them. Add a leafs should not be dangerous on the front, they still use the center pin so they can't be spit out like a block. ORD sells the 1" zero lift for the front for like $30, so that would be a good option for you. Definitely consider greaseable bushings all around and the heavy duty front shackles. Now's the time to install the little items.

1969 C20 4x4
    4" lift, 35x12.50x16 Super Swamper SSR's

3. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I do have a dan 44 front end, but I dont know the difference between an open and closed knuckle. It has a 12 bolt in the rear. i think it was swapped because my speedo is off by 13 mph. I was gonna replace the springs because I think they have a bad case of the 30 year droops. I got some 2" lift blocks for christmas. if that corrects the problem I probably wont swap em. thanks again
    nathan

4. JMZ

JMZ Registered Member

You could just add some leaves in the back to stiffen it up a bit. I kept the top leave on mine and added the rest of a 77 1/2 ton 4x4 (donor vehicle), With a homeade shackle fip and homemade 3`` blocks.

5. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the quick response. I will have to look around and see if I can find a donor truck in my friends junkyard. i just wasnt sure about the weight of the truck being different.
    nathan