Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift questions!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NastyGMC, Jun 12, 2002.

1. NastyGMC

NastyGMC Registered Member

Hey all! I figure you guys get these questions all the time, but im new at this and have a few on lifts.

First of all, I want a 4 inch suspention, and a 3 inch body lift for my GMC. With a 4 inch suspention lift, would i have to extend drivelines? and what else would i have to extend? And i have Rancho RS1000 shocks(RS9000's on the way), would they work with it?
    For my body lift, i was looking at a performance accesories 3 inch lift. I read that with a body lift, the T-case shift linkage and steering collumn would have to be extended? Would they? and what else might?
    Thanks ahead for the info!

2. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

You should extend the drivelines, they will not quitew be long enough and could pull out during extreme flex. As for the body lift, 3" is marginal on extending the steering shaft, and you will probably run into some intersting problems on the T-case shifter. Your shocks will need to be longer than stock, the amount depends upon the amount of flex you have, you may need to move your shock mounts to fit in extreme situations. If you don't want to do this get some limiting straps. I have a 4" spring lift and have about 14" of travel in the front and 15" in the rear. Don't forgetthe extended brake lines and the longer drag link, andto also get steering box reinforcement at the frame.
    Good Luck and have fun!

3. NastyGMC

what is a drag link?

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

ok, with a 4" suspension lift, you'll have to change the steering arm and that should come with the kit, the drivelines will be fine.

the 3" body lift, woul will have to extend the tranny shift link, the weld in piece will be provided for that. the t-case shifter, you can extend it if you want to. as for the steering column, just unbolt it from the firewall and the 4 bolts under the dash and when you lift the body it'll slide out and adjust its self when you get the lift in, bolt it back up.

i have done both of these mods so you can bellieve me.

5. NastyGMC

I thank you all for your information. Im still learning and have a few questions. One thing i was wondering (and it may sound stupid) where is the transmission shift linkage? Or,(better worded) where can i get at it? And with these lifts, do you think i would be able to clear 35' tires?
    I have a 400$ paycheck coming friday, and im ordering all these lifts with it - so im trying to get some info. I'm not a very big off-roader, i mainly want these for sweet looks and clearance. Thanks again!

6. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

well know you can clear 33's with jus the 4", so almost definately fit 35's, wish i had the money to just 'build something,' lol.

Brett

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

You'll clear fine with 7 " of lift and 35's. You'd probably be OK with 37's. In addition to what was mentioned above about your tranny linkage. If you open your hood and look at where your steering column comes out of your firewall you'll see a rod that goes down and toward your tranny. This is the rod that needs to be extended.

8. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

You will probably also have to drop the transfer case 1" (using the existing spacers GM supplied). 35's will fit OK, 36" TSL's will
    rub like mad, so be ready to trim some fenders.

John

9. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

that's only on the automatic right? a manual won't have a shift linkage. I believe that if it is a manual then you won't have this problem. Someone chime in I might be way off base here.

10. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to lower the fan shroud.

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

A drag link is the steering link that goes from the steering arm to the pitman arm on the steering box. Also you will need to raise your bumpers. The 1" spacers that GM put UNDER the T-case crossmember need to stay there, they were not designed for the amount of leverage that a good frame twist would apply. You can get some good ones from skyjacker for about $25, they come with the longer bolts and proper lowering plates.
    If you get some wheels with the proper offset you could run 37's easy, otherwise you will rub.

12. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

Well it looks like everybody forgot to ask what kind of wheeling you plan to do. If you plan on a mud only rig or a mall cruiser then 4" suspension and that 3" body lift might work ok for you, but in my opinion 35" tires will look goofy small with that much total lift.

I'm sure others will agree that your best bet is to do the suspension lift 1st. 35" tires will fit with a 4" lift if you plan to take your rig offroad you will probably need to trim the fenders a little. Trimming fenders is FUN easy and will improve the cool factor of your rig.

3" body lifts are not something I personally would do to my rig. I do have a 1" ORD body lift and I would reccommend that for it's many benifits without the hassles associated with 3" body lifts.

There are guys that rock crawl that would say that the formula you want for best perfomance is the biggest tires and the least amount of lift, me included. Moose who is rarely here had his rig running 40" tires with 4" of lift and a 1" ORD body lift. Yes his fenders were trimmed and his truck looked way cool.

My rig has about 1.5" of suspension lift, a 1" ORD body lift and 35" BFG mud tires. The fenders are trimmed and even on hard core trails like Lower Terminator and Upper Woodpecker I experienced no rubbing, unless you count the body rubbing the rocks. I do plan on a 4" lift soon.

13. NastyGMC

I dont do too much off-roading. Mainly just for looks is why i want a lift. During deer season i do the most, but nothing major where im rock climbing or anything.
    I think i'll just stick with a 4 inch suspention lift. It sounds about right for me. Thank you all for the help!
    I am now a little better educated on the world of off-roading! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif