Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift questions

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by badzr2, Aug 16, 2002.

1. badzr2

badzr2 Registered Member

I have a '90 Suburban and it about time to lift it. Who makes the best lift? I'm gonna go springs all around and want to run 35"-37" tires. I don't do rocks, just mud ( when I can find some ) and general city use ( jumping curbs, scaring hondas ) thanks....

Paul Gonzalez

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

hey i have an 89 gmc 3/4ton suburban. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif skyjacker, superlift and tuff country make good soft springs. i have pro comps and they are too stiff i'm about to ditch em. to run 35"-37" tires you'll want about a 6" lift. you could do a 4" and cut the fenders. you'll probably end up trimming them some anyway. but if i were you i'd go with a 6".

as for wanting to go all spring, i wouldn't bother. check out offroad design and look at their 4" shackle flip rear suspension. it's beefy as heck proven to work well in all situations, and relatively cheap. it gives you 4" of lift so you don't have to buy tall stiff 6" rear springs, you can buy flatter softer 2.5" springs and have 6" of soft suspension.

any other questions, feel free to ask. most of us suburban guys have "CK5 SUB-CULTURE" in our signatures. it's an all suburban club within coloradok5.com and i'm the prez.

3. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

WELL I AM RUNNING 6 INCH ALL AROUND. ITS A SUPERLIFT SOFT RIDE AND THE MOUNTING KITS ARE PRO COMP (FOR COST REASONS). THE REARS ARE 56" WHICH HELP SOLVE THE STIFF SPRING PROBLEM. I HAVE NOT NOTICED ANY DIFFERENCE IN MY FLEX ABILITY ON THE TRAIL AND I CAN STILL MAINTAIN TOW ABILITY AND MY REAR SHACKLES DON'T HANG DOWN TO GIVE ME SOMETHING TO HANG UP ON. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif THE ONLY THING I WOULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY WAS TO GET THE NEW SHOCK MOUNT KIT AND PUT IN LONGER SHOCKS LIKE THE PROJECT UAV. WELL THATS MY HUMBLE OPINON. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif AND I'M THE CLUB COOL GUY!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I would have to agree that the 6" route is the way to go for the tire size you want. I'm running 38" TSL Radials with 6"s of suspension and 2"s of body lift on my '90 Sub. I got the front springs are from RaisedK5 (Leland) and I just bought some 4" blocks and some 2" add a leafs for the rear. The only problem I have had is high centering and the rear overhang (what Sub doesn't?). I did some asking around and the general thought was blocks and add a leafs were my best option because I do a lot of towing and rock crawlin. I don't see a lot of mud. I have a friend that built his Sub for mud and he's running the same tires and with 4" suspension and 3" body. He's running blocks in the back and much horse power up front. He has no complaints about the bocks but he wants to go with 44"s so he's going to get rear springs later.