Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Questions ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BigBlazer84, Feb 10, 2003.

1. BigBlazer84

BigBlazer84 Newbie

I am gettin ready to order the ORD 4" shackle flip for my '84 blazer. I will be using my 2" blocks along with the shackle flip. I have herd I will have to retube my rear driveshaft. I have also been told to just drop my t-case an inch, and that will fix it. I have also herd that it's hard on the tranny/t-case to drop it. I have also figured I will need longer brake lines. Is there any way to get out of retubing my driveshaft? Without jepordizing other parts. I have a sm465/np208/10bolt if that helps. I also wonderin about tires My friend has 4" and 35's look good I don't want them to look tiny on my truck but I want tires small enough so I can still tuck a tire.
    Sorry so long. Thanks -Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well as far as getting the driveshaft resized, don't worry about it until you get the suspension mods done. You've got the manual, which is considerably shorter than auto's, so you'll have an advantage on the rear shaft....the front may need lengthening however. Like I said, though, just wait 'til you've got the suspension mods done to see if you need to touch the d-shafts. Maybe someone who's done this exact set up can tell you a concrete answer.
    Well, what you do when you drop the t-case is you put strain on the motor mounts. You may also have some problems with the shifters contacting the sheetmetal cutouts of the body tub before they engage the gear. Again, this is something I would wait to do until after a post-mod test drive. That's what I did on my 'burb...test drove it after the lift, felt no vibrations, so I didn't lower the t-case...doing fine ever since. Actually, for you, I would guess that you probably won't need to/want to lower the t-case. Your rear shaft is relatively long compared to other K5's, and, by lowering the t-case, you actually increase the operating angle of the front shaft at the double cardan joint. So, like the first topic, wait 'til after the lift to see if it's necessary, but I'll bet it's not.
    35's will be good....what springs are you going to be using up front?

3. BigBlazer84

BigBlazer84 Newbie

Thanks for the info, I will be running Tuff country 6" Springs in front and stock in back w/ 2" blocks and 4" shackle reversal.