Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cryptobiotic, Apr 17, 2003.

1. cryptobiotic

cryptobiotic Registered Member

I am running a 4 inch Rancho lift right now that is probably about 10 yrs old and definitly needs replacing, I was thinking of getting a 6' skyjacker lift with racho 9000 shocks, I don't wheel too much it's mainly for show and to be higher than all those fords all over the place, I am just wondering how much extra work will have to go into this? or is it even worth it? Should I just stay 4'? please let me know your opinions!! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If hieght is what you want, and you are going to replace the lift anyway... might as well lift it higher right? If you dont plan on using the thing off road much... then Id recommend just getting a 6" kit from rancho, procomp or whoever else is a reputable manufacturer and on sale (if cost is even an issue!). Blocks are an ok way to lift the rear end of your rig if you dont wheel your rig. Springs in the 500 lbs/in range will make sure you can corner ok on-road. The kit should come with a drop pitman arm or something to keep your steering geometry a-ok... and with a 6" lift you may need to get your rear driveshaft lengthened.

j

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Is ride quality importent to you ??? If not, then Rough country would be okay, but if you don't want that lumber wagon ride, look into BDS or Tuff Country.

4. straightBOGGINnMY74

straightBOGGINnMY74 Registered Member

thats not gonna be cheap...if money is an issue

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

going to a 6inch will cost more than you with all the steering stuff extended brake lines and getting a longer drive shaft. Stay away from pro comp and rancho way to stiff of springs, skyjacker rides really good and from what I heard BDS is the best

6. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Mine is riding like a Cadillac with the sway bar off...I have the Skyjacker soft ride lift. I'd just stay with the 4" since you already know it works with your setup. Skyjacker lift kits are a little taller than stated, mine was really 5.25".