Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aj_tatted, Sep 19, 2003.

1. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

hey guys, i started putting on my lift today and relized how far the drive line was extending. was is a exceptible length for it to be pulled out? also when pivoting my tranny what is the best possible way of doing that? i thought of putting spacers between the crossover brace and the frame but i'm not sure if this is how it's done.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

2. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

the length im speaking of is out of the transfer case, currently it looks to be pulled out about 4" is this o.k?
    /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. La Barge

La Barge Registered Member

is that measurement with the suspension dropped or on the ground. typically with 6" or more you will need a driveshaft spacer witch are sold aftermarket. the t-case spacers should go between the crossmember and the frame if needed. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

whrer would i find a driveshaft spacer and what do they look like? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

wait... you have a np205 and the shaft is pulling out of the tcase? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif is this one of them 1980 gm np205s with the slip yoke?!

j

6. La Barge

La Barge Registered Member

I'm talking about the front driveline the spacers can be found at any 4x4 shop. If you are talking about your rear driveline you will have to get it extended by a drivesaft place. possibly a cv installed as well.

7. aj_tatted

aj_tatted 1/2 ton status

dunno , i know it has a slip yoke though because it slides back and forth on the spline. i drove it today and it will drive however there's a little shimmy in low rpm's. i have pics of what i'm talking about but i have the damnest time getting them on here.also how far should i drop the transfer case? i shimmed it 1" on the cross over beam and it seemed reasonable. i hope i'm not tearing up u-joints. one thing after another. my seal seems to be leaking alittle now([darn]) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif guess i'll have to replace that next. i appreciate all the input i can get as i'm doing this on my own in order to be at one with my truck(lol)thnx guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I think 1" is about max you wanna go for dropping your trans/tcase down. More than that and your distributor gets awfully close or contacts the firewall and you don't want that. The slip yoke should be about halfway in the tcase sitting in your driveway. You really should pull it and measure then reinstall and find out where you are at. 4" lift and you could probably get by with the rear shaft for street driving. MAYBE> 6" lift will need driveshaft lengthening. Have fun.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    dunno , i know it has a slip yoke though because it slides back and forth on the spline.

[/ QUOTE ]

when you say "it" are you refering to the tcase or the driveshaft?

j