Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Oct 23, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I know I shouldve searched but there is so much info that it would take me a day to sort through all the results. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Anyways the suspension lift bug has bitten me again. I had it a year ago but I was able to squash it. Now it seems stronger like it might could happen this time.

I want to lift the Jimmy 4" and run 35's or possibly 36's. This is my DD that will see mild offroad use so it cant be too extreme. Ive decided on a BDS all spring lift. I just need to know what else I should get. Looks like a Zero Rate in the rear is a good idea. I guess greasable suspension while Im in there too. The lift really isnt my concern, gearing is. A gear change is a must and I might as well go 3/4T while Im at it.

My main question is yall think I can pull off the lift, 3/4 ton and new wheels/tires for 2000-2500? I could get good money for my practically new 33 BFGs and 15x10 rims.

Im a poor college kid with no money coming in. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah you could do that for less than 2500...

I dont know what kind of 35s you wanna run but you can always find used stuff or get pro comps for buy 3 get one free...

the lift should be "fairly" cheap if all your doing is a 4 inch kit...

the 3/4 ton swap shouldnt cost that much, depending on what gears you wanna run

you doing this work in Richmond or up in Blacksburg? ive got some 8 lug parts and I can get my hands on a few 14 bolts...

Later

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just out of curiosity... why run a spring lift in the rear? why not a shackle flip? shack flips are cheaper, and will flex better too.

I dont see why you couldnt do this for under $2k-2.5k.. especially if u can score a cheapo ff14b. Get whatever steering parts, spring plates etc that you can used (ck5 is a good source, peeps who go 1-ton often dump their old stuff cheap!) and you'll be set... maybe even have enuff $ for 36s... /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

j

4. daleearnhardt01

I just dont know about the shackle flip. I mean its easier to just throw new springs in right? The main thing Id be worried about is the truck sitting unlevel or something, I dont know.

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

depends on what youre using the truck for...if youre not doing trailrides with it who cares about the flex? its up to you...if your rear springs are in a sorry state you would want to replace them anyway...

up to you in the long run

when i started out with my 88 i lifted it 2.5 inches first, then was going to go 4in. but sucked it up and went 6...maybe youll decide to go 6 too...you never know

Later

6. jekbrown

[ QUOTE ]
    I just dont know about the shackle flip. I mean its easier to just throw new springs in right?

[/ QUOTE ]

dunno... isnt the echobit flip bolt on? doesnt seem like it'd be much harder than swapping springs out.

[ QUOTE ]
    The main thing Id be worried about is the truck sitting unlevel or something, I dont know.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the same thing could happen with aftermarket lift springs as well. Its no biggie, if the front or rear is quite a bit lower than the other, install some 1" zero rates to level 'er out. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

7. daleearnhardt01

Oh man I forgot the Echobit was bolt on. I was thinking of the ORD which involved droppin the tank and grinding rivets and stuff. Shackle flip now looks like the way to go. Save lots of cash too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The truck sits level now with the 13 year old springs. From what Ive read a 4 inch spring in the front and this flip might sit level. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

8. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

you better order that echobit flip soon...i hear mike is taking orders and then discontinuing the echobit stuff for a while so he can build cages and get the business stuff straight

Later

9. jekbrown

I have the ORD flip.. it wasnt really that hard to install... and with a grinder its a snap. I also like the ORD flip's frame bracket much more than the stock one. Just my opinion. For cost/simplicity its hard to beat an echobit flip...

j

10. daleearnhardt01

Oh man so I should really order it huh, or is it cool to wait since I wont do this until summer?

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I used this revolutionary bracket for my rear shackle flip. Cost was pretty reasonable at $0.00 off an junk 3/4 ton. Here is a before and after pic. I welded my bracket on but you could just as easily drill holes and bolt it on. I think my 4" lift counting 4 zero rates, used 4" superlift front springs, newer springs for the rear off a 90 blazer, used 35" tires, extended brake lines and raised steering arm came to.... under $500. With the zero rates I get a total 5" lift. So it can easily be done for $2,500, or with a little effore you could save yourself 2 grand.

12. daleearnhardt01

I see on the Echobit site that once stock runs out thats it for the winter. Im assuming he will start making them again right?

13. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

yeah he was saying hes got a bunch of big jobs(like full cages and stuff) to do and then hes gonna revamp his design and production setup

apparently its not very cost effective the way hes doing it now

Later

14. daleearnhardt01

Well went ahead and ordered the Echobit flip tonight. Might as well go ahead and get it. Itll set a while while I gather more parts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Yay its official im liftin the Jimmy. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

im doing my 5" for a little over 300...
    homemade zerorates from a ck5 member plus 4" used springs for the front
    4" blocks plus add a leafs in the rear
    gabrial extended shocks all around
    steering arm from ck5 member..
    u-bolts from local spring shop
    and i ganna go with longer rubber lines from napa
    lower the t-case using stock spacers an inch

defenetly a budget lift..but it should do the job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

sweet...its settled then...theres no turning back now

have you decided what youre going to run in the front?

Later

17. daleearnhardt01

I reckon Ill get 4" BDS and get a zero rate just in case one end sags. I mean the truck sits level now with 13 yr old springs so I dont know if it will sag with the new stuff.

18. daleearnhardt01

The more I go through search results the more Im wonderin if I should get 6 inch front springs and a zero rate for the rear if it sags. The Echobit flip says it nets a 4 min all the way up to a 5-3/4 depending on the condition of the springs. My truck sits level now so Im wonderin what I should do?????