Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift ?'s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b laub, Dec 12, 2004.

1. b laub

b laub Registered Member

here shortly i am hoping to put a bigger lift on my 83 pickup im planning on going with the 8 inch skyjacker rear springs and a set of 10 inch skyjacker front but my problem is i can't find where to buy the 10 inch springs for the front if anyone knows of where i can purchase those plz let me know thanks

83' chevy k20 454

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

thats awfully tall, what size tire are u wanting to run? id get out the grinder and sawsall and start cutting fenders before i went that tall. i wouldnt even want 8" springs. and i think a shackle flip and shorter rear springs would be better also, it'll ride and flex better.

3. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

either Skyjacker or Superlift make the big lift springs...

What are your plans for the truck? We just put the Skyjacker 8" springs on my buddies K5 and it rides / drives like SH!T. Even with the 8" springs, his 38's on 16x12 wheels will rub the edges of the front fenders.

4. b laub

b laub Registered Member

i was gonna run some 35x15.5 tsl's for a while then thought about going 38's later i wanted to go 10 inch front springs and 8 inch rear springs tho not 10 inch front and rear. u think the front will sit to much higher then the back i was hoping if i did that it would sit about level or the front would be just a **** hair higher then the back where can i find the 10 inch lift tho i have been lookin and i dono where to buy um. any suggestions help i havn't done anything that big and i dono how it will look or what thanx

5. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Well, in my opinion it will look kinda goofy w/ that much lift and 35's. You can run 35's w/ a 4" lift. Not a problem stuffing the 38's under it w/ 4" if you don't mind a little trimming...

6. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

With my 8" lift my 35's seemed to be tiny. My 4" was perfect for my 35's. Now running 40's with 8" and some fender trimming to make it look proportional to the truck.

7. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

go with either front 8" springs for the front and for the rear go with a shackle flip and 4" springs for a total of 8" all around, k5's seem to have the rear low even from the factory, so even if you have 8" all the way around the rear might squat some. My .02

8. Big Ol'Chevy

Big Ol'Chevy Registered Member

The only company that sells a 10" front springs is Superlift, unless you get them custom made. The tallest lift that Skyjacker makes for a chevy is 8" springs front and rear. If you were to put a 10" spring on the front, and a 8" spring in the rear, your ass end would be 2" lower and the truck would look pretty funny. You can run 35's with a 10" lift there's nothing wrong with that, but throw some 38's on there and your truck will turn heads, in a good way.

9. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have 10" sky jackers. I love them, there not that bad at all. The ride better then my buddies 6" superlifts. Get springs with friction pads. Just my 2 cents.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah, don't let some of these guys talk you into a small lift. ;) :p: It will look good on 8-10" of lift on some mean, wide swampers. I love the look of my K5 with about 10" of lift on 35x16 boggers and 16.5x14 welds.

I would take the Skyjacker springs over the Superlift springs but I would probably go with a complete 8" or 10" lift. I think you are confused on one thing...if you are going to go with a taller spring it should be in the rear because usually the rear is what sags. My K5 is perfectly level and I have 1.5" more of lift in the rear.

12. b laub

b laub Registered Member

so what if i just went 8" skyjacker with my 35's on my pickup u think that would look ok or what because i had a 6" superlift before and my 35x15.5's rubed and crunched my fenders all up thanks guys

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've always prefered the rear slightly higher then the front. I'd go 6" springs front, ORD 4" Shackle Flip + 3" springs rear, ORD Zero rates front and back, and a 1" body lift. Finally, trim fenders as needed. Gives 8" front, 9" rear. With some fender trimming, should be able too clear 38's no problem.

14. rjfguitar

Yep, it takes a lot of lift if you want to clear wide 35's without destroying the fenders with either the tires or saw zaw. Go with the 8" kit and maybe add zero rates too, to make it 9" for looks.

15. hawk368

hawk368 Registered Member

35's with stock ride , lots of trimming. Who needs a lift? My friends roll when they try to follow me.

16. rjfguitar

Someone that wants it to look good. Not having the top of the tires rubbing the hood and fiberglass top because there isn't hardly any fender left. :whistle:

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I would have to try very hard to roll my truck with 9" lift and 38.5's in the mud here in the great flatland of Illinois. Some trucks are built for a purpose other than rocks and trails. Some people just like to look cool...

18. hawk368

Actually I didn't even have to touch the rear fenders. I left them stock. I played with the back spacing on my rims so they would stuff up in the wheel wells. The 35's rub on the inner fenders at full stuff, but I'm planning on widening the rear tubs so thier deeper. Also, I only had to do major surgery on the front and rear of the front fenders. I didn't touch the top of them. Just had to make custom inners for the front.

19. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

20. hawk368

So do I. The way I have the fenders trimmed, No one even notices untill they pull up next to me with stockers and realize how big my tires are. And that I'm a couple inches taller. Then they start looking closer, thats when they notice the front fenders.