Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift/Shackle flip question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gjk5, Oct 20, 2004.

1. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I have a '72 K5 with what appears to be a 4" Rough Country lift with rear blocks my questions are as follows:

Is a measurement of the rear blocks going to equal the amount of lift?, the PO said it had a 2.5" lift but the blocks are definitely bigger than that.

I want to get rid of the blocks and have been looking at an ORD 4" shackle flip, if I do this will I have an even stance, as in 4" front and 4" rear total lift height?

And to complicate things more: would I be better off just buying some Alcan springs for the rear to give me 4"?

Also, should I pull the old springs and clean 'em and POR them or something when I do this, or is that all cosmetic?

I'm sure there are some that will say ditch the Rough Country altogether, go ahead and post up, I'm open to suggestions.

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Is a measurement of the rear blocks going to equal the amount of lift?, the PO said it had a 2.5" lift but the blocks are definitely bigger than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes, but not always. I have 6" lift springs in the front and 5.5" lift springs in the rear with a 2" block for a 7.5" rear lift so the truck sits level, actually up just a bit in the back. I still call it a 6" lift. Maybe you have 2.5" front and 4" rear to make it sit level.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'd go new rear springs and fronts to match. Tuff country and bds are the 2 best out for the price

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

If your rear springs are not saging then you should be fine. but if there are saging then you could add an zero rate with the shackle flip to even it out.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd go ahead and get the ORD 4" Shackle flip. Put it on and see how it sits. You can always change springs later. My next K5 will be a 72. I'm thinking 6" lift. I like the 6" better then the 4" lift personally. I think 6" Tuff Country front springs up front and ORD Shackle flip + 3" tuff country rear springs rear. I like the rear slightly higher, and gives room too settle.

6. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Alright, I need to go out and measure this sucker. My stance seems to be pretty level, I'm pretty sure it's 4" and 4". I like the ride height on 32's or 33's with that 4" so I think I'll stay away from 6". I didn't even think about Tough Country, I'll have to check that too, all I saw was "country" printed in yellow on the fr. springs, the rest had old oil all over it (imagine that), so I assumed Rough Country.

How much should a set of rear springs run (ballpark), 'cause the shackle flip is pretty cheap?

Also, this one will be for moderate wheeling, camping, hunting, and a little bit of DD. (I have another '72 that will be truggyized for the hard sh*t) I definitely don't see me running 21 road in the yellow one, the sheet metal's too nice. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

Also, didn't know what the zero rates were so I looked 'em up @ ORD's website and I may do that to get a little higher in the rear for when I'm under load (I gotta lot of camping crap).

I'm just trying to get all my projects for the winter lined up, I'm finally getting a house where I can keep 'em both there and work on them.

7. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of my old '70 with 4" front Rancho's and rear ORD S Flip + 1" zero rate moving the axle back 1.5"s. I used the best set of rear springs I had which I think were 2.5"s taller than the most sacked out set I had.
    [​IMG]

8. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

Also, should I pull the old springs and clean 'em and POR them or something when I do this, or is that all cosmetic?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would just spray paint with Krylon Rustoleum type paint. Might as well while they are off, makes the rig look better IMO.