Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift shocks for a heep, cheap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Dec 10, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A friend of mine has a '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ that I'm going to help him put a 3" lift on. I know he can get by with stock shocks most likely, but does anyone know of a stock application I can steal some shocks from to hook him up with some longer shocks?

I've checked every catalog I can think of and nothing comes up. Called Gabrial too, they're worthless.

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I don't get it. Why didn't He just get shocks with the kit or why didn't He buy some other kind of shock for a 3" lift.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't get it. Why didn't He just get shocks with the kit or why didn't He buy some other kind of shock for a 3" lift.

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't come with and he doesn't have money for shocks, asshat. Not to mention that a 3" lift probably won't last long when we're talking about a vehicle that requires a 4+" lift just to clear a 33" tire.

Quit hijacking my thread and stay out unless you can add some useful advice. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

First off You never stated that He didn't have money for shocks and You also never stated that the lift "probably" wouldn't last long.
    As for hijacking Your post. Get a life and quit thinking Your some kind of bad ass just because You claim to be some kind of manager at a worthless place like Autozone.

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    First off You never stated that He didn't have money for shocks and You also never stated that the lift "probably" wouldn't last long.
    As for hijacking Your post. Get a life and quit thinking Your some kind of bad ass just because You claim to be some kind of manager at a worthless place like Autozone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, well I'll make it real simple then.

The kid is still in high school and wants to lift his Jeep. He's a pretty cool guy and I just want to help him out. I didn't need your smart ass comments, just technical answers.

My position at my place of employment is not the topic here, either.

In case you were wondering, Mr. Anti-liberal, the topic of this thread is a little longer shock for a YJ Wrangler. It's NOT why he should buy $200 worth of shocks instead of $80, nor is it why a highschool kid shouldn't be able to lift their Jeeps because they can't afford $200 worth of shocks.

Anyone have some real tech advice here? This one has gone south in a hurry, but I'd really like to help him out. I checked my catalogs, but apparently he has stud mount type shocks that are already fairly long from the factory.

7. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Lift it, then go flex it out and measure. Take your shock book at autozone and see what will work.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Lift it, then go flex it out and measure. Take your shock book at autozone and see what will work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Already did that (checked the book). I'm not seeing any stud mount shocks that are longer than this Jeep. Is a Jeep YJ the only rig on the market that has stud mount shocks?

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i know that an 86 f150 has a stud mount front shock, so it is probably the same for 80-87

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...IIRC, they listed a lift application for that truck as well. Thanks!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The gay thing is that they use a stud and the two bolt thing too. I'll check 'em out tomorrow.

11. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I know there are adapters out there to convert from stud style to the bolt style. Ive seen em on the lifted GM trucks at work. Might try calling 4wpw and see if they have any adaptors so you can run a say a procomp mx-6 on the front of your lifted tahoe.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I know there are adapters out there to convert from stud style to the bolt style. Ive seen em on the lifted GM trucks at work. Might try calling 4wpw and see if they have any adaptors so you can run a say a procomp mx-6 on the front of your lifted tahoe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks so much, I'll check those out too!

You guys are being really helpful, thanks. This kid is pretty coo. Now if I could only get him out of this Heep......

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Get a life and quit thinking Your some kind of bad ass just because You claim to be some kind of manager at a worthless place like Autozone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that there is some high quality, top rate sig line material /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

i don't quite understand why you always have such an attitude, your tone in your posts suggests that you think you are one of the top wheelers in here, yet you ask the most basic of questions

to start with, they are called bar pin eliminators and you can get them from jks and others, they also have the conversions for the stud mount on top, so you can use what is referred to in the shock industry as an eb-1 mounting on top and bottom if you use the adapters on both ends

most all newer jeeps (yj, xj, tj, zj) use this mounting (stud and bar pin) as well as other vehicles, (fords); you say you looked in your catalog at work but didn't see that fords use the same mounting /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif; this is a fairly common mounting and you should be able to look in your catalog and first find the same mounting system, then look at the lengths of the stock yj shock, (collapsed and extended) then add 3 inches or as close to it as you can, if you want i will research it for you and send you the part numbers, i too once worked in auto parts and know how to use the catalogs instead of a computer

your "knowledge" may impress the high school crowd into oohing and aawing, but doesn't cut it in here; so step off that pedestal you put yourself on

15. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

let's see, how about we start at ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33590&item=2448119926 of course these are new and prolly too expensive for your buddy, how about these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33590&item=2447679276 even though these are for a 2 inch lift, after all you said longer shocks probably were not needed; or how about these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33590&item=2448450213