Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift size (Newbie; please help)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 81k5blzr, Oct 21, 2004.

1. 81k5blzr

81k5blzr Registered Member

Hello everyone. I am new to the board and to blazers (previous jeep owner). I am going to ask the age old question. I know just about all of the lift tire combos for a jeep but now that I traded for the blazer I am lost. Right now I am stock with 33's but I am thinking about going to 36's or 38's. I know 35's are common but I want to be bigger than most but not too big (as if you can be to big). So I was wondering if the board could help me with lift tire combos.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: lift size

If you don't mind trimming your fenders, you have alot more options. I guess I need too ask what kind of wheeling you plan on doing. I see alot of the rock crawling croud trying too stay at or under 4". I myself am more of a mudder and went 6" and have 36" tires for my K5.

3. 81k5blzr

81k5blzr Registered Member

I would rather not trim my fenders but I might do the flares thing though. As for terrain I will do mud and mild rocks. I am from TN so it has a little of both.

4. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I would rather not trim my fenders but I might do the flares thing though. As for terrain I will do mud and mild rocks. I am from TN so it has a little of both.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want to trim your fenders on a fullsize you're never going to run really big or wide tires without rubbing.

6. smprider112

smprider112 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't want to trim your fenders on a fullsize you're never going to run really big or wide tires without rubbing.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not true...theres always the "coke can" lift /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thats not true...theres always the "coke can" lift /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I suppose that's true, but I bet even with a 5 coke can lift, you'd still be able to rub fenders of those sad excuses for springs actually flexed.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

IMO, the optimum amount of lift in a fullsize like a K5 is about 5". 4 or 6 is good to... but for me, 5 seems to be juuuust right. I run 39.5 TSLs on 5" of lift, but I have trimmed fenders. IMO, 2nd gen fenders look much better when cut.. but thats just me. In any case, to answer the question directly... for 36s you'll need 6" of lift or so if you dont want to trim... and for 38s you'll probably need 8-10". Depends a lot on the rate of the springs, weight of the rig, etc etc.

j