Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift size to fit the tires?........

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelin247, Nov 7, 2000.

1. wheelin247

wheelin247 1/2 ton status

i wanna put 40 inch tires on my k5 blazer what would be a good size lift for it and i can do some fender trimmgin if i need it ?.......

2. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

I shall reply again

and try to be kinder. Most people here follow the stuff posted here. so if you go to the top of the page and click on "Technical" Link then go about half way down the page to the "Tire Fitment Chart" you will find the answer to your question. But you need to consider more than just what lift you need to fit the size of tire (gear ratio, feasability, local laws, Horsepower available, etc. )

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Re: I shall reply again

6" lift and 3" body lift with some sawzall fun will get you what you want. The other stuff posted is so you dont spend more money than you bargined for in the long run. And so you dont get stranded in the woods.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

4. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

If the blazer's body isn't in great condition I'd say a 6 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch body. The 6 inch suspension lift shouldn't require too many steering and driveshaft mods and the 2 inch body should only require minor mods as well. You probably should have at least 250 hp to turn them. More if you go mudding frequently. As lots of people have mentioned before, you will need 1 ton axles and should got to at least 4:46 in the gears but 5.13 should be better. When you get the 40s under the Blazer, make sure to take a few pics that you can share with us. Good luck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

5. wheelin247

thanks alot for the info guys i appricate it alot thanks alot .......

6. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I forgot to mention a few thing:
    When I said if the body isn't in too good condition you should get 6 susp and 2 body is cause you can trimm the fenders a lot. AS you mentioned before, you wanna keep the Center Of Gravity low. A 3 inch body lift is a bit too much and will put strain on the body mounts when your wheeling. When I said 4:46 I mean 4:56 for the gears.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]K5[​IMG]

7. wheelin247

see right know i have a 4 inch suspention and 3 inch body lift and i have 35's on it know so u said i should put a 2 inch body and 6 inch suspention?

8. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I think a 3" body lift is unsafe, and a 1" or 2" is a better choice, but since you have a 3" lift now and seem happy with it, it's ok to leave alone.
    You can change your springs over to 6" springs and, with a sawzall, fit 40's.
    -- Mikr