Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift spring or flip shackles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Jul 18, 2004.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Im taking out my 4 inch lift blocks in he rear.... Should i go lift springs or flip shackles?
    Eddie

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

if you tow at all-springs
    if just DD and offroad-shackle flip

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I prefer springs, but I'm not into articulation and suspension travel like the shackle flip guys are.

4. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

So shackle flips allow more bending?
    Eddie

5. ugly_blazer

I don't know much about the characteristics of shackle flips, someone else could help with this more than I can.

6. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

shackle flips let you use your existing (stock) springs, instead of adding more leafs. When you add more leafs to the pack you gain height, but you lose the ability to flex more. When using a shackle flip, since you are using the stock springs, you can articulate alot better then spring lifts.

**This does not include custom made springs**

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

9. ugly_blazer

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been a subject of fierce debate, that's all... /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ohh... forgot bout that /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

11. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

When i tow, im not towing much weight, usually a quad and or dirtbike, or towing the occasional ford out of the snow bank.
    Sooooo, shackle flips use the stock springs, but if my springs are old, ill be sagging, right? New, lift springs would give me the lift, with less sag, right? then later, if i wanted more lift, i could add flip shackles on top of the new lift springs??
    Eddie

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yeah, if your springs are saggy, you'll be low in the rear.
    So if you don't want to worry about saggy springs, get new ones /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

so the only reason shackle flips are not good for towing is because it uses the stock springs???

14. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

no, because they can un-load. I think. Search for the war on it. I cant say for sure because someone will say otherwise /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. ugly_blazer

Link to the war... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I personally prefer the shackle flip myself. It's all about the ride quality for me. I have 6" lift springs in the front, with the ORD 4" shackle flip + 3" lift springs in the rear.

17. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Shackle flip. There is no other way /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I did a home-brew system and installed 2 ORD flips for my friends. You will not want lift springs after seeing and feeling how much better a shackle flip helps your rig.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i didn't really follow all the arguements on the "war" on this topic, but IMO if you plan on towing heavy stuff a lot, just go with lift springs from a good manufacturer (BDS, TC, Deaver, etc) and you'll be fine. If you want best offroad perf, a smoother ride, and maybe just tow a lighter trailer on occassion, then go with the shackle flip and rebuild your springs while you have everything appart.

thats just my 2 cents. Im not sure whats wrong with shackle flip towing, but enough people who's opinions I trust think its not the best idea. I dunno, maybe a disconnectable rear sway bar or limiting straps would solve the problem? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

j

19. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

I didn't follow the war either but my buddy had one of my flips and tows a 5000lbs boat with his k5. He never had a problem and I know I saw a post where stephen from ORD said towing is not a problem with one. There are vehicles out there rated for towing good size loads with shackles already flipped (or I believe in compression is what it is called) so if the factory does it why can't we.

P.S. check the link in my sig flip kit is much cheaper than springs. My kit is a little more than 4" so it helps with saggy but.

20. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    When i tow, im not towing much weight, usually a quad and or dirtbike, or towing the occasional ford out of the snow bank.
    Sooooo, shackle flips use the stock springs, but if my springs are old, ill be sagging, right? New, lift springs would give me the lift, with less sag, right? then later, if i wanted more lift, i could add flip shackles on top of the new lift springs??
    Eddie

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I would do. Especially if you are planning on more lift in the future. Get new springs now, and then if you want more lift you can add just a 2.5" flip or 4" flip. And I think with the flip you will either need to get angle shims or a rear CV drive shaft to accomodate the pinion angle.

I believe the reason that stock springs with the flip flex better because the stock springs are flatter and therefore flex either way easier. With lift springs there is a bigger arch to overcome. I could be wrong however, that is just how I've always figured it worked.