Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Spring Wedge Direction.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by colbystephens, Nov 20, 2005.

1. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

So I'm debating driving out to work on my k5 tomorrow, which is an hour away. I put my 4" lift springs on recently, and when I went to bolt up my 14bff this weekend, it seemed to me that I may have put my springs on backwards. I was thinking this b/c the fat end of the wedge underneath the overload is facing the front of the truck. I am still learning, but it would seem to me that this wedge is intended for maintaining a proper pinion angle. Can someone verify that this is accurate and that i do have it on backwards? Also, is it possible to simply spin this wedge around the center pin - i notice movement of the overload. Anyway, the reason I ask is I can't find someone to go with me to work on my truck tomorrow and I found that putting the springs in was a two person job. I don't want to drive all that way to find that I have to remove and reinstall the spring packs w/ out having a buddy along. thanks.

colbystephens.

2. Cornfield creations

Cornfield creations 1/2 ton status

The fat end of the wedge should always face to the outside of the truck, being front or rear. The goal is the tilt the pinion up. I am pretty sure that the springs have to be spun around, when I put my rear lift springs on I noticed they could go only one way. It shouldn't be too hard to do yourself if they are only bolted up on the spring mount and on the shackle. I believe it would be do-able alone. Unbolt the shackle, then the spring mount, spin it around and bolt up the spring mount then the shackle.

3. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

Sounds like its on wrong. The wedge should have angled the rear axle up to improve driveline angle. In theory the wedge should be at the rear of the spring. As to if you can just swap it around. Measure from both ends to the center pin and see if there both the same. If so. I wouldnt see why you couldnt just swap the shims around.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You are correct, the shim thick end is to the rear to help point the pinion up towards the T-case. IIRC the center pins are centered in the springs so you could just loosen the center pin bolt and spin the shim around like you're hoping. Just to be safe measure the distance from the center pin to the front eye of the spring and also center pin to rear eye of spring, if you get the same just spin the wedge.

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

If you have it in backwards you'll probably end up with some serious driveline vibrations.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What vehicle are they on?

7. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

ok. that's what i figured. i recall that i can spin the overload around the pin - so i can't imagine why the wedge wouldn't spin as well. thanks.

leper - it's on the '83 k5 i'm building. i've got the 6.2 diesel in the machine shop right now. i'm swapping a d44 front and 14bff rear, 4.10 gears, it will have 35's. pretty basic build for now. i'm just trying to get it on the road so that i can get rid of my s series blazer. i have a whole long list of plans for this rig - as does everyone else for his own, but that's it till i get it on the road. :)

colbystephens.

8. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

Put it in so that you achieve the better driveline angle.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Just be sure that the pin is in the center of the spring pack before you spin the shims. My SkyJacker 5.5" rear leafs have the hole punched about an inch forward of center to help with driveshaft length. If they are backwards it makes the driveshaft a couple inches too short.