Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Springs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Broke84, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Broke84

Broke84 Registered Member

OK, I've found some good info, but want to make sure, as a newbie, that I'm doing this right. Picked up a set of 4" lift springs yesterday (thanks muddybuddy :D ) and plan on installing them Sunday. The bushings are old, but in usable condition. I may upgrade to greasable later, but I'm anxious to get these on. In addition to changing my shocks, these should bolt right in from what I understand. Some roadblocks I may encounter:
    Leaf bolts might be a pain to get out after 21 years of use. Can I just soak with PB Blaster the day before, would that help or should I plan on having to cut them out? If so, should I pick up some new bolts before starting?
    What about new U-bolts? Should I have them on hand?
    I know there may be issues with steering and brake line length, but my understanding is that for occational daily driving and light off road use, stock should be fine.
    Any other gremlins I should prepare for? I'll be doing this at the garage, so I won't be able to just get in my car and make a parts run. Thanks, before and after pics to come later.
    Ken

2. 74 chev

74 chev 1/2 ton status

you should buy new u bolts your only suppose to use them once. i have re used mine befor but hey are new not 20 years old. and yes your stock lines will be okay for on road driving but its not going to take much to stretch them out.

3. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

cutting the u-bolts off would make it alot faster/easier. PB blaster really does works wonders, so id try that first b4 jus sawing them off.

hope everything works out! :D

4. muddybuddy

the guy who had the springs on my truck used the stock u-bolts and the nuts barely had all the threads on the bolts. definitely get new ones. they are only going to need to be about an 1-1.5" longer than the stock ones.

5. Broke84

Thanks guys. Sorry I think I was a little vague. I meant, in addition to the U bolts, the ones through the eyes - on the shackles. I've read that many people had to grind the head off and pull them through w/ an impact. Should I just get some grade 8's to replace them or do you think the PB will break them free.
    On a side note - I got inspected this morning, she's legal again!!!! The guy was impressed w/ the new floor and I suppose it didn't hurt that he liked my truck.

6. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

you forgot about steering and driveline issues. You should correct your steering angle with a dropped pitman, raised steering arm, or dropped draglink. The best method is to go crossover, but it's expensive.

PB is always your friend, if you have it use it.

Jesse

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Definitely spray the PB Blaster on there. I'm getting ready to swap out my rear blocks for lift springs and I'm going to be drenching them with PB.

Impact wrench if you got one. Especially on the U-bolts with the fine threads.

I always replace the bolts, at least it makes me feel better if nothing else. I used grade 8's.

I sure don't miss the VA inspections. :rolleyes:

8. 3rdshiftdesign

3rdshiftdesign 1/2 ton status

I would replace all of the bolts. Whether it looks like they need it or not, bolts are cheap -- it really just makes putting everything back together nice and easy. Also, i've taken bolts out that are almost rusted through... from moisture in the bushing.

9. Broke84

I just got back from Advance Auto. They don't carry Gabriel shocks anymore. All they had was Rancho's and Monroe. I really don't want to fork over $200 for Rancho's and the Monroes they had didn't specify if they were for a lift or not. They didn't look like it, but the lady wasn't sure. Any suggestions on cheap, but decent shock replacements? Also, I looked at the U bolts they had there. I don't think they were grade 8. Does anyone know the size I would need for a 4" lift? Or should I just look at my old ones and go a little longer? Or even better, does anyone who has done this have a "shopping list" of bolt sizes I would need to get to replace them all? I know I could just pull them and take them with me but like I said, I'll be at the garage and won't be able to leave. Would Lowes or H. Depot have grade 8 stuff? Thanks again for all the help guys.

Seems to me that I would need:
    8 new U bolts
    8 new eye bolts
    2 leaf spring connecting bolts? (got some shims to help w/ pinion angle in the back.)

10. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Find a place that builds leaf springs look in the yellow pages usually the u bolts you get from chain store are cheap.

11. muddybuddy

go to auto zone for gabriels :D