Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift springs

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SilverJim, Jul 28, 2001.

1. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

It's time to order lift springs for my truck. I already have a 4" shackle flip for the rear as well as a 3" body lift. I'd like to be able to run 37s with the option of running 40s if I feel inclined to do so. I've heard 40s are possible on a first gen blazer/jimmy with 11" of lift. So here's the question: do I get 8" in front and 4" in back? Is the shackle flip close to 4"? I'd also like to get the axle relocation block but I don't mind if the back is a little higher; I just don't want the front higher. Also, I'd like to avoid using lift blocks. Another question: with the significant increase in weight on the front springs as a result of the big block, would it be best to go with a local spring manufacturer who can custom build a spring to my specifications? I was quoted $150/spring a while back and that doesn't seem too pricey for a custom spring. I'd like to go with National Springs but shipping costs are prohibitive. I'd appreciate any other suggestions anyone might have.

1970 GMC Jimmy 502HO/SM465/NP205 doesn't run just yet!

2. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

You can run 40's with 8" of lift, I do. My sister in law has a big block in hers with a set of sky jackers in front. It doesn't sag at all.150 a spring is not bad at all. The shackle flip in the back with 4" springs will probably result in a smoother ride than the 8"s would. Good luck!

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1328774&a=9975627&p=33244094[/image]

3. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

Do your 40s rub much with the 8" lift?

4. SilverJim

SilverJim 1/2 ton status

After reading the post on pics from blazer-fest that turned into a post discussing some guy's lift it got me wondering...

Are most of you running two inches more suspension lift in the back to compensate for the weight of the hard top? Should I try for 10" in front and 12" in back total lift?

5. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Hey man,
    Have you already dropped that motor in? I'm looking to do the same thing but I've been planning this build up for the last year. I'm building my own motor and wanted to know what engine mounts you are going to use? Have you tried to mate the 465 with the 502 yet? Are you worried about breaking the 10 spline output shaft on the 465? What about axles? I would love to talk to you more about what your plans are, write me an e-mail.
    Bruce
    batmanjr@austin.rr.com

6. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I've only rubbed a couple of times when In really got bouncy on a hill. They don't rub with every day driving. But I do have a 3" body lift to go with the 8" suspension.

[image]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1328774&a=9975627&p=33244094[/image]

7. 71RestoRod

71RestoRod 1/2 ton status

With stock suspension, the G1 Blazers have an ass-heavy look to them. I think it's mostly because of the difference in the fender openings... if you compare the fender well height to the trim line, the rear opening is much lower then the front. 2" extra in the rear evens out the clearance front to rear and gives the truck a level to slightly raked appearance.