Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift Springs???

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by raptorGTA, Jul 11, 2002.

1. raptorGTA

raptorGTA Registered Member

I want to put a 6" on my 72. What springs are the best for ride comfort on the road? I was thinking about getting the BDS lift becouse I have heard good things about them.

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I hear a lot of good stuff about SkyJacker's Soft Ride springs and also about SuperLift's setups. A friend has a 4"/6" SkyJacker lift and likes it but his shocks are too soft on compression for those really soft springs.

3. Rasberry

Rasberry 1/2 ton status

I have had a 6 inch skyjacker lift for about 4 years now and it still rides great.

4. BAD4WD

BAD4WD Registered Member

I got sky.6" springs frt.& back with no conplants. But the best thing you can do is to install a sway bar from a '73 up 4x4. Made a big diff. going down the road.....

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Asking someone's opinion about soft springs is like asking us what a pretty girl looks like..... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Everyone has their own idea of "soft". I've ridden in a later model K5 with SuperLift springs and thought it was relatively stiff but acceptable. I had Rough Country springs in my '72 K5 and thought they SUCKED! They were WAY too stiff (over 700Lb/in rate) and made the truck miserable to drive.

I have since added a custom set up front from ORD (about $400) which are down in the 240Lb/in range. NICE!!! I've had passengers ride in my K5 who also own Blazers and they use the word "Cadillac" to describe the ride. Of course a SUPER-SOFT spring like that will flex well too.

The only downside so far with the soft springs is that it aggravated bumpsteer in a BIG way. I've had to buy a crossover steering setup to address that issue, and I think I'm gonna be a happy camper!!!

My advice is to take a few rides with other K5 owners in your area (we're everywhere!) and get a feel for what YOU consider to be a comfortable ride.....then you'll know what brand of spring is right for you. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Something else to consider which makes a BIG difference is tire pressure. When I first got my Blazer, I pumped my 35 x 12.50's up to 35 psi and with those stiff springs I thought my kidneys were gonna burst! Big tires don't need as much air pressure, because they aren't really carrying much "load"....I'm down to around 22 psi on the street now, and that helps a great deal. Even with soft springs, too much tire pressure will cause the "buckboard" feeling over bumps.

By the way, fill out your profile a little bit more. If I know that you live close by, I'll offer you a ride in my '72 to check out the springs.