Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift System Poll

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkysTheLimit, May 23, 2003.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Long time reader, first time poster. Love this site!
    I am finally ready to put some $$ into the K5.. I've narrowed down my first upgrade to new lift kit. The old springs have sprung... What does the group feel is a better product between the SkyJacker & the Tuff Country in a 6" solution? The truck is a daily driver (88 4wd 350) but if I go off road I don't want to have to worry about much. I'm leaning towards the Tuff Country from reading the posts and reviews but haven't seen too much on the SkyJackers. I will be going to 35x12.50 soon and building up the motor so i need to take that into consideration.

Thanks all!!

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Long time reader, first time poster. Love this site!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sir, please step away from talk radio /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

if you are on a budget, Rough Country has you coverd, i put mine on, and i dont know why people call it Rough country, besides the fact that you can beat the piss out of the suspension, and it will grin and wait for more, literaly, get it downward curve /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Here is what I plan on doing with mine. It is a great setup if your on a budget like I am, and it will also give you an improved ride and good flex. This could probably be one of the best setups for the money.
    (1) Of course you will need longer brake lines. for stainless steel:$100
    (2) New shocks will be in order. You can get rancho 9012's that are adjustable for $69 a piece, or if you want self adjusting, get some doetesch(spelling??) 8000's or prerunner series for about $40 a piece. Probably one of the best self adjusting shocks on the market.
    (3) I would go with 6" front BDS springs for the flex. A shop near here quoted me about $260 for front BDS springs, u-bolts, and bushings.
    (4) For the rear, I would go with the echobit shackle flip. It is 100% bolt on so it is much easier than the offroaddesign shackle flip for installation. Also, it nets about 5 3/4 inches of lift with stock springs. Depending on how much your rear springs are sagging, you could go with add a leafs or ord zero rates to make it level with the front.
    (5) After all of this, you might need to get some (probably 3") shimms to put under the springs. You can get them tapered or non tapered, and they can also be used to add about 1" of lift. These correct the driveline angles so you dont get any bad vibes. They run about $60 for a pair.
    (6) Just trim the fenders to clear the 35's and you should be set.
    This setup should offer good flex and a good ride for cheap. This is just my $.02 though, so do whatever you like. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison

6. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice. I did a search but managed to miss the Ultimate 6" lift thread Shaggy pointed me to. I don't want to go cheap, I want to "do it right the first time". Based on that thread, I will probably go the non kit route and peice it all together myself. I will of course let you guys know how it goes and see if I can't keep a web journal of the whole build up process since it hasn't really started yet..

Thanks again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

When I meant cheap, I actually meant really good value. Alltogether, the way I said would be more expensive than most lifts. Regardless, piecing everything together is the way to go. The parts I listed in my previous post are some of the highest qualtiy lift components made. And they all have to be purchased separately, so you can put it together and make sure it is done right. There is a ton of informatin about lifts on this site. Just keep looking if you want more advice. I was in the same position as you, and I just looked around on here anf found exactly what I want/needed. Whatever you do though, try to keep the web journal so we can see what you do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison