Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift to fit 40s?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79k5blazer, Jun 19, 2004.

1. 79k5blazer

79k5blazer Registered Member

i am in the process of rebuilding my 84 blazer. well actually i am doing a one ton swap and decided to spend a couple more grand while i was in there. i have always run the MTRs and love them. i really want to run the new 40x13.50R17s. i have a one inch body lift and will be cutting my fenders like Steves blazer before he put the 39.5s on it. i was wondering if 8" front springs and 4" rear springs (shackle flip) will work. and would 8" front springs still felx pretty well? i know it wont be great but do they move at all? thanks for all of your help in advance!!

Ryan

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

You can put 40s on without 8"n of lift. One of the mods runs them on 2.5" Im gonna run them on 6".

Nick

3. robbieyukon

robbieyukon Registered Member

if you have rusty sheet metal just cut. i cut about 8" off my rear fenders last night. i think i can fit 38"s w/o any lift. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I have 6" skyjacker softride leafs.. and my 40's are tubbed.. but they are also wide ground hawgs so I have to /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

My old truck. 76 with 4" suspension and no body lift. 40" mudders. Alot of /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif on the fenders! [​IMG]

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All the 8" springs I've seen don't flex worth a darn.

I have 6" of lift and 38.5s now. I'm seriously considering 44" TSLs next time (and keeping the 6")

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

if you get springs with the plastic friction pads and correct the shackle angle they will ride fine
    the problem is that spring manufacturers make lift springs to the same 23.5/23.5 spacing that the factory negative arched springs are made at
    lift springs move the opposite direction as neg arc springs so your shackle angle ends up being pretty much the opposite of what you need for a good ride

with horrid superlift 10" springs that I have added the plastic buttons to and moved the shackle I can now bottom my front driveshaft under braking and pull it apart on droop

the Superlift are pretty much the worst case scenario for lift springs and after adding the buttons and correcting the shackle angle they are very liveable
    if you buy good 8" softride springs and correct the shackle you will be riding pretty comfortably IMO

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    You can put 40s on without 8"n of lift. One of the mods runs them on 2.5" Im gonna run them on 6".

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]
    that would be me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif i have a 2.5in lift and 40in Iroks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. 79k5blazer

i hate to sound like a total idiot, but how do i correct the shackle angle? i really want to do this truck right and if you say correcting the shackle angle will make it ride better, my girlfriend will probably be happier, even though she wont be able to get into it. what did you do with your shackles with your 10" springs??

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

You want the bottom of the shackle to be leaning towards the rear of the truck. This helps the spring flatten out as you cycle the suspension. I don't have any pictures to show you but if your looking at your rig from this side /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif you want the shackle to look like this /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif \ not this / or | /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif did that help?

11. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

With a lot of cutting you can fit 40s with 4" of lift. The only problem I foresee is the tire hitting the cab under severe articulation with the tires turned at full lock.

I'm kind of partial to BDS springs.

12. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I am running 39.5" boggers on 6" springs with lotsa trimming. I don't have enough clearance yet, I need to tub the bed (this is a pickemup) and move the front axle forward an inch or two.

Andy

[​IMG]

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I haven't had any problems with my 16" wide TSLs hitting the bed tubs (damn!)

I have already moved my axle forward 1.5" though and I think when I take it apart again I'll move it another inch to keep the tires off the cab floor when I get the 44s.

I really wish interco would just make wider IROKs. I don't see why they insist on making them pizza cutters. I'm seriously considering a set of 44" TSLs next time just because I don't want to go taller without going wider.

14. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I haven't had any problems with my 16" wide TSLs hitting the bed tubs (damn!)

I have already moved my axle forward 1.5" though and I think when I take it apart again I'll move it another inch to keep the tires off the cab floor when I get the 44s.

I really wish interco would just make wider IROKs. I don't see why they insist on making them pizza cutters. I'm seriously considering a set of 44" TSLs next time just because I don't want to go taller without going wider.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly why I will be considering the 39.5 TSL's instead of another set of Iroks when I get into the 40" range. I think the Iroks will dig too much in the softer stuff. They already dig like you wouldn't believe.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's why I want IROKs...more agressive than TSLs, almost be like a bogger for mud but not give up the rock performance of the TSL.

The best of both worlds I suppose would be to have a set of 42" TSLs for rocks and 44" Boggers for mud, but I guess I'll just settle on getting the 44s. When I scrounge up the cash for 35 spline outers and flanges and then start looking at a new set of tires I guess I'm going to consider all of this.

Maybe the 42" IROKs will be wide enough.

16. 79k5blazer

so will 8" of suspension a one inch body and some minor fender trimming be enough to fit 40s? i have a very clean truck and dont want to cut it up to much

17. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so will 8" of suspension a one inch body and some minor fender trimming be enough to fit 40s? i have a very clean truck and dont want to cut it up to much

[/ QUOTE ]

8 inch springs aren't going to be real flexy anyway, so you probably won't be too bad off. I've got stock 52's up front and stock 56's in the rear with a flip for about 4 inches of lift, and a 2 inch body lift. I've got a 2 inch body lift as well. I've cut the hell out of my fenders though.

I do think you'll need to consider moving your front axle forward to make clearance with the firewall. Mine is forward 2 inches, and I don't run inner fenders. So far my tires haven't touched any sheetmetal.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I had 9" and un cut fenders with 38.5s for one weekend. Damn near destroyed my fenders and I wasn't even flexed that far. Sawzall came out shortly thereafter and the rest is history.

I think you would need at LEAST 12" of lift to try to clear a 40 without cutting. Probably more than that. I know my buddy caved his fenders in even with 15" of lift and 44s. Common sense would tell you a tire 4" shorter would be the same way with 4" less of lift (11") so I'd say AT LEAST 12", if not more to clear a 40 without rubbing with mild flex.

Figure a 12" spring doesn't flex that much but he managed to chew up the fenders pretty good, so they will flex SOME.

19. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This is how much I had to cut to run 40's with 5" of lift. My tires rub the hel out of the inner wheel tubs in the rear, but other than that i have no tire rub issues.

[​IMG]

Rene

20. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

how wide are yours Rene?