Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift + towing?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Scrubby, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Scrubby

Scrubby 1/2 ton status

I have a '77 3/4 ton suburban. I want to lift it 4 inches, but I also want to retain most of its towing capacity. I tow fairly heavy trailers farily frequently when helping out my father's construction business. Stuff his Durango can't handle like flatbeds with bobcats loaded on them and such. What are my options? I know that blocks suck and the shackle flip is not for towing. I'm worried about new springs being too lightweight. Are there 3/4 ton lift springs that would maintain my towing/load capacity?

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I have the 4" Rough Country all-spring lift. The rear springs in a suburban (at least mine) are 56 inches. The only way Rough Country could accomodate my request was to give me the rear springs from a 3/4 ton truck.
    In short, yes, there are rear springs for your truck that will still keep your payload at 3/4 ton.
    And, you're right. Towing a heavy trailer with lift blocks can only lead to bad things. (ie. The first time you pull away from a stop sign with the trailer, your rear will be 4" shorter because your lift blocks will be laying on the ground.)

3. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I tow with my 1990 3/4 Ton Sub all the time. I have 6" suspension lift, 2" bodylift and, 1" zero rates up front. With 38x15.5x16.5" TSL Radails and blocks in the back it hasn't been too bad. Here's a pic
    It helps to have my front swaybar connected when I'm actually towing. I'm working on a rear swaybar with disconnects to help out even more when towing. I have blocks in the rear because I didn't want to give up my rear spring rate either. It sounds like you tow heavier loads than I do. My average heavy load is about 7K-8Klbs. I do know someone that tows heavier than I do with more lift and more power. His make is Ken. Here's a pic of his setup. Ken truck

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I haven't had any problems with the 4" blocks (yet). I forgot to mention that there's a 2" add a leaf in my rear spring pack too.

5. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

Both FORD and DODGE trucks in all 1/2ton, 3/4ton and 1-ton trucks have LIFT kits from factory.

They're not really that high, they just come with lifts already and they have no problems. Although the rear ends in dodges do CRAP out a lot. may thats the reason.