Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift troubles...ARRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH *updated progess pics*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78Suburban, Jul 5, 2006.

1. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Has anybody else had a heck of a time getting their front lift springs on? The old ones came off pretty easy, but it seems like when I jack the front of the truck up, the frame twists around in such a way that I can't get both spring eyes to bolt in at the same time. The axle was also cocking up at an odd angle. Me and a buddy wrestled with it for hours, and its been a heck of a frusterating day. I think I need to disconnect my front driveshaft and install my extended brake lines, and maybe then I'll be able to roll the axle around and make everything line up. Any tips on making life easier when doing the lift would be much appreciated.

I'm doing 4" RC fronts with 1" zero rates, not moving the axle from stock location.

Also, I've heard I need to clearance grind some tabs on my front shaft. Is this where it connects to the axle, or back at the t-case?

Any tips or tricks would be awsome. Has anyone else had as much trouble with this as me, or am I the only one that has had some difficulties?

thanks,
    James

Last edited: Jul 6, 2006
  2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

take your u-bolts off and just install the springs then jack the axle up to the springs it will be alot easier

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

x2 on this.

This is what I had to do as the same thing happened to me.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

X3 I did it this way and once we got the axle close I still had to wrestle with the springs to get them to sit down on the pads properly i.e. the spring bolts into the hole in the spring pad.

Ira

5. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

me and my uncle loosened up the top shackel bolt and then everything got alot easyer, we couldnt get the bolts 2 line up

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep, it's heinous. Ya know, it's a GREAT IDEA to pull your truck *halfway* out of the garage when doing the front axle, so you can't close the door until you get the project done, particularly when it's dark, and cold, and late, and you are alone and shuffling an axle around on a coupla furniture dollies and swearing up a storm and ...

oh. Huh?

Yeah, it's a PITA. If it were me, I'd put stands under the frame on all four corners, then wrestle the springs on, one at a time, then do the axle.

It sucks, but it's worth it when you're done. That's what I kept telling myself, especially when I had all the fun with the 52"s and kept dropping them on and off to tune them.

-- A

7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

X4...This is how I put all my front springs on too. I have two special 4-foot tall jack stands, which I put under the frame, just behind the leaf springs. Then I have three floor jacks for the job of removing a differential. After I unbolt the U-Bolts, I lower the diff with the floor jacks, which are placed on each end of the diff, and in the center where the drive shaft yoke is because a diff has the prepensity to roll forward due to the wieght of the pinion gear.

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

quote=1-ton]X4...This is how I put all my front springs on too. I have two special 4-foot tall jack stands, which I put under the frame, just behind the leaf springs. Then I have three floor jacks for the job of removing a differential. After I unbolt the U-Bolts, I lower the diff with the floor jacks, which are placed on each end of the diff, and in the center where the drive shaft yoke is because a diff has the prepensity to roll forward becuase of the wieght of the pinion gear.[/quote]

This is not entirely true. Diffs will go where you LEAST want them to, sometimes forward and sometimes back onto your toes, so as to be maximally irritating. :D

-- A

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: Dana-60's and 14-Bolts are some heavy SOB's. I know I have had a couple of scary moments, in where I was wreslting with them, and thought my differential was going to drop onto my drive way with a crunching thud.

10. jamber2541

jamber2541 1/2 ton status

as far as the drive shaft goes, try it on once you get the springs on and check the fit, if it does bind you need to cut the tabs on the c/v side (t-case side)

11. 78Suburban

Man, this sucks badly... I laid down to get some sleep at 11:30, and now its 3:40!!! haven't gotten even one second of sleep. I've just been laying here aching, tossing, and turning with visions of wrestling axles and beat out old bolts in my head.. AAAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

12. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

you'll get there....... just get some rest and wake up pissed off and determined to get your truck put back together in the morning

The learning curve can be very painful sometimes

13. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

I would never have thought to put the springs on with the axle attached. Seems kind of crazy to me.
    It's way easy when you're just lifting the spring in there

14. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

Most definitely easier to install the springs and lift the axle to them. You'll have to disconnect your brake lines first though to gain enough room to get those spring in and out.

Don't get too frustrated yet. You still have to crack open the bleeders on your cailper. Save some of anger for them when they snap right off and set you back more money and another day.

15. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Yep, springs first. Disco the sway bar if you haven't already. D-shaft no matter. My front still wanted to go to the rear. I used a car bumper jack hooked in/around the knuckle with the foot up against the body mount at the door hinge. Click, click, thump into the hole.:D

16. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

X eleventy....I had a tough time lining up the center pins but I just used a couple ratchet straps to help line things up.....................(My frame isnt the straitest though)

17. 78Suburban

I've got a sneaking suspicion that this may be the case for me. I think the major problem I was having is the brake lines were completely stretched tight, and that simply was not leaving me enough room to get those springs in there, since they're arched so much. I guess I'll have to put the new brake lines on, when they arrive in the mail.

thanks,
    James

18. 78Suburban

my progress

well, I woke up this morning refreshed and ready to work. My buddy wasn't over yet, but I was able to jack the front of the truck up enough to bolt in both front springs. Then after I had taken these pics we were able to wrestle it around enough to let the center pins start to sit on the holes in the perches, and I now just have to put the u bolts on. I have one u bolt through each spring plate. I'm trying to reuse the u bolts because they have low miles on them, but they are kinda hard to line up through the spring plate holes. I did have one of them made at the spring shop, and I'm considering getting them to make the other 3 from scratch too.

I also noticed that the hole in the spring perch is about the same size as the bottom of my 3/8" center pin. I suppose the soft metal on the pin will be forced into that hole when I torque the u bolts down?

Anyway, I've made encouraging progess today, and I'm well on the way to being done with the front of the lift.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn't that the most beautiful death trap you've ever seen :eek1: :waytogo:

19. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You said it:eek1: And I would get all new ubolts,nuts,and washers.

20. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

That'd be a funny thread, all the scary stuff we've stacked-up while working on these.:D