Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift/turning

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5Buckeye, Sep 12, 2001.

1. K5Buckeye

K5Buckeye Registered Member

Rough Country lift went in easy and I'm very happy w/the ride. It's about 3 weeks old. Well, got a chance today for a front end alignment. The fellow told me it doesn't turn all the way to the right. I never noticed b/4. Never had to do a right hand U-turn. It is annoying as I tried to swing into a parking space. Found that out just now at Home Depot. So, how do I correct it? A dropped pitman arm?
    Thanks.

1972 K5
    1991 Jimmy

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Drop steering arm will help. The only way to cure it is to go to crossover steering, buts thats alot of money. I went with the drop arm, and it turns fine on the road, but doesnt turn much when the front is articulated.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by DesertDueler on 09/12/01 12:52 PM.</FONT></P>

3. MudTruk

MudTruk Registered Member

The other thing you can do is to buy a lifted steering arm. These are readily available from just about every 4x4 parts store. The price is about $70. Usually cheaper than a pitman arm, but they are a pain to put in. I literally took me 12 hours ( and some cold beverages!) to get the one off of my 74 blazer. It was a little easier on my 83 jimmy with the help of a torch. Good luck.

Gotta go, before ya show!

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Thats what I added, and they are correct, gettin the old one of can be a bear. We heated mine up and that seemed to help. Right hand turns still aren't the same but you get used to it.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

5. K5Buckeye

K5Buckeye Registered Member

I did get the dropped steering arm from Rough Country. Oh well, like you said, I just got to get used to it.
    Thanks fellas.

1972 K5
    1991 Jimmy

6. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i changed my steering arm, all you need is a 6 to 8 lb sledge hammer

donate to the "Build Scott's Suburban Foundation"
    scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 36s, tbi350

7. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

Must be diffrent with all trucks, I just put a 4 inch lift on lobor day weekend without the extended steering arm and theres very little difference in the way it steers.

1984 GMC Jimmy 379 diesel, 700R4, 3.73s, 31x10.50 x 15