Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift with 1/4 elliptical suspension

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wally81k5, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

How is the lift made?

is it just the arch of the spring and the bumpstop?

On a 1/4 eliptical?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: lift with elliptical suspension

all leaf spring suspension are eliptical. There is 1/4 eliptical, 1/2 eliptical(standard design), and 3/4 eliptical. Just like with any other suspension involving springs ride height is determined by 3 factors. Leaf count, free arch, and spring rate. Riding on bumpstops is a bad thing.

3. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

okay then, how large of a spring will hold up the back or a k5 in a 1/4 elliptical?

Will a standard spring cut near the middle hold it?

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I can't say really. I've considering doing this and if I did I would have tried doing like you just said. 1/4 eliptical requires a link setp same as coil springs. I posted a thread about it a month or two ago and the general response and what I've grown to think is right is going with coil springs. Though this is some sick droop and a sick rig in general
    [​IMG]

5. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

I seem to think that in order to not ride on the bump stops you would need some serious springs. This would counter the droop that i desire from those springs... kinda of a catch 22 i suppose. Thanks for the pic. If anyone has anymore advice on this topic that would be great! who is this guy in the truck? is he on this board!>? i have some questions.

Ryan

6. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

what are the springs in this truck??? They are like 8 leafs thick?!

7. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    who is this guy in the truck? is he on this board!>? i have some questions.Ryan

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ya, but he dont say much, when this pic was first posted, he got bagged on by his fellow members since thier shiznit couldnt do that so i doubt he will say much again /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif ya, sick truck! my 9 year old has that pic printed and on his desk for like 9 months now! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. joshgreen454

joshgreen454 Registered Member

90% of the time a 1/4 elliptical suspension will outflex one with traditional coils - as long as the cut spring pack is allowed to pivot away from the mount point on the frame. coils are limited in the sense that both ends are attached and can only pull apart so much. and ones that do pull apart, are generally soft like tj or minivan coils and not something to hold up the weight of a blazer. if you hinge the cut end of the leaf pack, in theory if you didn't have a limiting strap you could lift the rear of your blazer up with a crane and the rear wheels would rotate down and touch the front ones. obviously not possible with coils. on the 1/4 elliptical - don't bolt the cut end to the frame, you have to allow it to drop by building some form of pivotable cradle (you can kind of see mine in the pic posted above). the leaf pack pretty much supports the weight of the truck and messing with the bumpstops can change the height a little bit. i absolutely love this setup and would not change it for anything.

9. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Hey Josh, any chance you have some better pics of the setup?

10. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

where the pack meets the frame would it be good enough for it to just be able to pivot straight down? and then a pivot where it meets the axle?

up travel on the spring pack would be controlled by the frame itself?

11. joshgreen454

joshgreen454 Registered Member

i don't really have a lot of pictures. here are some from awhile ago. setup is still the same except i replaced those 4" block bumpstops with something a little cooler looking. contrary to popular belief - this setup was not tweaked AT ALL after initial build. i am still driving it today in the same state as the first day after it was done. the bumpstops were fine, but i changed them a little because i was bored and hadn't gotten a chance to weld/torch in awhile.

http://community.webshots.com/album/46832435WNUgcX/1
    http://community.webshots.com/album/46834960HigamR/1
    http://community.webshots.com/album/47136669sOxzQe

this technology/design has been around for a long time. i just browsed around online to get an idea of how i wanted to do it and did it. there is only a couple of things that i used as guidelines to build - make the upper/inner links longer than the lower/outer ones so the pinion would rotate when the axle dropped, 'V' the upper/inner links as much as possible, make the leaf pack pivotable and use poly bushings throughout so i could get in the mud also. after that i just started cutting and welding. there were no cad models that took me 3-4 weeks to 'tweak' or 1/32" scale replicas created out of popsicle sticks.

i think that the biggest thing with most people is that they are too smart for their own good. furthering your knowledge on suspension design isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when terminology and 'theories' start to get you overwhelmed and causes you to not want to try something, it becomes a bad thing. people will comment on rear steer and this and that, but at the end of the day - 95% of the people who talk about it will never be in a situation where these phenomenons will negatively effect their ability to wheel. unless you are at the top of the totem pole in rockcrawling and competing in highly technical arenas, who cares about a little rear steer. this suspension was built with primarily torches, a mig welder, a tape measure and angle iron. moral - all you need is the ability to want to try something.....

if you want to disagree, come wheel, some friendly competition is always fun - but bring the pink slip to your truck so we can make it interesting.........

12. samiam

samiam Registered Member

Thanks for all the info and pics, thanks even more for the moral support.. you are right on with the theory that talk is cheap. Im gonna do it, may take a few weeks but it'll get done.

13. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

You have no clue about suspensions. You spend 95% of your day making pictures of your truck in Photo Shop. Your truck would roll over 10 times if you tried to drive through anything like that. Have you figured out how to drive up inclines yet? Last I heard your truck was driving around on 31" tires in mall parking lots. Stick to racing civics and you'll be fine. hahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You did put pivots in the track arms within the last year.

14. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

HEY I didnt authorize you to link to my webshots... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Whats up josh, havent heard from you and mike in a while. How you guys doing?

BTW man if you head up to ucp next year youll see my black and gray blazer along with a white 74...its gonna have a variation of your 1/4 elliptical on it...you def. convinced me of its ability to flex.

I might actually be pming you from time to time with questions if thats cool...

I can honestly say to anybody that is wondering, Josh's truck out flexed pretty much anything out at Paragon last year...it was sick, he about drove over the end of the ramp...

Later

15. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    You have no clue about suspensions. You spend 95% of your day making pictures of your truck in Photo Shop. Your truck would roll over 10 times if you tried to drive through anything like that. Have you figured out how to drive up inclines yet? Last I heard your truck was driving around on 31" tires in mall parking lots. Stick to racing civics and you'll be fine. hahahaha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif You did put pivots in the track arms within the last year.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="red"> </font> I hope your just kidding?!

16. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

anyone have any pics of how they held on the leaf pack to the front? I have an idea of my own, like i think josh used, about 4 bolts on either side of the spring, plus like 2 bolts through the spring?! am i close or what?

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what you just said si the way I've seen it done by jeepers

18. Wally81k5

Wally81k5 1/2 ton status

is it okay to weld all this junk to my axle? Like the spring perchs, truss, and link mounts?

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Why wouldn't it be?

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

welding to the housing sucks, cast steel, but nothing wrong with doing it.