Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift with no vibe??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by WheelinK5, Feb 6, 2002.

1. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

I am going 4" lift on my '85 Blazer. What needs to be done to make sure I have no vibrations I have heard about? Will I have to go slip yoke shaft? Can I get away withg a 4" and no vibe?

Mark

1985 K5
    Built 330HP crate 350, SM465, NP208, 10 bolts, Ranchos and 31X10.5 on Rallys!

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

when i lifted my 89 suburban 4" i didn't have to do anything but the blocks (yuck) have an angle built into em so i didn't have to. if you're doing springs in the rear you can shim them, not sure how much though. the front was fine for me. as for the drive line my slip-yoked np-241 is perfectly happy with it. no new shafts req'd.

--Scott, 1989 GMC Suburban 2500 4" lift, 36" TSLs
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub>http://community.webshots.com/user/muddysub</a>

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I also had a 4" and had no vibes. Just used blocks in the back with a taper to them (don't recall how much) and everything was fine. No lengthening of the front shaft, I think I did go with a longer rear shaft after I broke the old one. When I went to 6" is when I started (and still do) having vibe problems...

If you do have a vibe with the 4", you should be able to get some cheap shims to correct the problem...

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

If you have any vibes, try using a shim to point your pinion towards the t-case...you can also drop the t-case whcih is accomplished my taking the spacers that are in the frame rail where the crossmember is attached and placing the spacer(s) in between the frame rail and the cross member... pretty easy once you get under there and see what I mean...but with only a 4" lift, you shouldn't need to do too much...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

5. WheelinK5

WheelinK5 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies! If I go with blocks in the rear will I be OK if I don't try to pull a building with it?

Mark

1985 K5
    Built 330HP crate 350, SM465, NP208, 10 bolts, Ranchos and 31X10.5 on Rallys!

6. tori89k5

tori89k5 1/2 ton status

Yep..... blocks will be fine ..... even small buildings can be pulled...... [​IMG]

1990 K5 4" lift, 33's, 14FF Detroit locker, D44 w/ posi, 4.10's Raptor Tranny and Velvet Rides....