Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lift with tires??? yes or no

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CarsonRoen, Feb 9, 2001.

1. CarsonRoen

CarsonRoen Registered Member

I have a problem with convincing my friend that i should get a lift and bigger tires. i was wondering what you guys thought about this subjuect and if you have any suggestions for arguments that i can make, other than becuase it would make my car better.

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Well considering maybe 80-95% of the guys on this page have lift from 2-20 inches i think its ok [​IMG]

[​IMG]its a mole . . . not a seal!!

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Couple of arguments either way. If the thing doesn't go offroad, and you don't need the better clearance, don't lift it. It raises the center of gravity. The K5's as stock are already unwieldy when you have to make an avoidance maneuver at 70MPH. Lifting it adds stress to the u-joints, and likely everything attached to them (transfer case, axles, driveshafts) so failure is more likely, although not guaranteed.

And the other way? Larger tires will give you better freeway mileage, as long as the contact patch and mass of them is not outrageous...larger tires=less RPM's at the same speed as smaller tires. Larger tires fill the wheelwells better. Lifts and/or larger tires will enhance ground clearance.

Theres a couple of points to ponder. Personally I am on the "don't lift it 'cause I personally don't need to, but put the biggest tires on it that will fit because it looks better, decreases RPM's, and DOES give better clearance with the least amount of sacrifices" side. I am running (or will be this weekend finally) 33x10.5R15's on my K5.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>