Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LIFT................

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXBIGFISH, Oct 6, 2001.

1. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I'm going to buy my lift kit in the next wwek or so, I know everyone has their own opinion on brands, but who really makes the most reliable and quality. Also I'm looking a t a 4 or 6 inch most probably a 6 inch with 33's or 35's I want to go the best performance without chopping up the body. I would appreciate a little advice from those who have already treaded these waters. I WILL be going off road this is not a street machine! I will drive it around town during the week and on the weekends anything goes! I hear axle wrap is a problem.....so is blocks out of the question or not suggested at all? I have read here that a 2" spring and an ORD 4' shackle flip? How about a a srtaight 6" spring? A little direction would be appreciated. Also, I hae factory quad shocks up front, do I want to kill them in favor of another set up? Just looking for suggestions and advice, everything I have heard and gotten from here has led me in the right direction. Ya'll have the experience here so I am relying on you all.
    Thanks

<*)))><

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!
    I see a 6 inch lift in the near future!

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

6in and 35's would be a good setup if you dont want to do any fender trimming if you want a 6in lift go with 6in springs in the front and 2in springs with a 4in ord shackle flip in the rear so you get better articulation if you go with 6in springs in the back you will not get as much articulation if you put blocks in the back you will get some axle wrap also if you can aford it go with the rancho rs 9000's they are adjustable and get rid of the duel shocks in front it makes your ride a lot stiffer with duel shocks

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Most any lift kit can be made to work, but obviously some are better than others. I have a 4" Rancho lift of undetermined age and it rides like a brick. The rear blocks induce axle wrap too.
    I am in the early stages of building another K5 and my next lift will be 4" Tuff Country EZ ride fronts and a 4" ORD shackle flip for the rear.

You didn't mention the type of wheeling you plan on...I like rocks and technical trails, so I am leaning towards a lot of flex and a soft ride. I have already relocated the mounts for the rear shocks and will eventually relocate the front upper mounts so I can run longer shocks in the front as well.

In your case I'd use a 4" lift with the 33's or 35's you have planned. The 4" lift requires a whole lot less work to make it work well, driveline angles will be less severe and the center of gravity will be lower. a little moderate trimming will be all thats necessary and will hardly be noticable.

Do a search as well, this is a subject that comes up very often.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

you might wanna do a search on this subject... (paticularly looks at posts by captcrunch)

I've bot a 4" BDS lift, and I love the ride... however, do NOT get BDS shocks! they also got a really nice guarentee on the springs; you break it they replace it with no questions asked!

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup ... Like Rene said it depends what kind of offroading you do. Personally my truck is a daily driver and I love my 6" BDS lift. Rides absolutely AWSOME IMO. Skyjacker softrides and Superlift superride spings are also good springs IMO.

In terms of lift sizes... a 4" lift is quite a bit easier... basically get extended brakes lines, the steering arm, and drop the tcase using the factory spacers and you are set. You can run 33's easy... 35's will also fit on a four inch lift and if you get flexy you can always do a tiny bit of trimming. The 6" lift requires quite a bt more work... you'll need in addition to the 4" stuff... a 2" drop pitman arm, definetly some form of sway bar correction kit (you'll probably want it on a 4" though too), and then you'll have a lot more work to make the driveshaft angles work. If you have a slip yoke case you will want to either convert it to a fixed yoke case or do a conversion otherwise you'll be best served just shelling out for a CV shaft. You'll also have to either extend the front driveshaft or at least add a 1" superlift spacer.

The last issue... on rear blocks... get springs or do the shackle flips if flex is what you want. Blocks suck canal water.

All in all... If I was gonna do the whole truck again I'd probably run 35's on a 4" lift and cut the fenders if I wanted to go anybigger. I'd also go springs all around cause the blocks I have as a temporary setup are awful.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

6. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on dirt and mud, don't think there are many places in N. Tx to go crawling in. Thanks for the advise I will use it wisely! So a 4" is the best way to go without extensive modifications, correct? Also, does anyone make a complete kit? WIth springs,arms, brackets and all?
    Thanks!

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!
    I see a 6 inch lift in the near future!

7. Lotsa_Faith

Lotsa_Faith 1/2 ton status

hey where do you live in N texas? i live in Mckinney, about 35 mi. north of dallas down 75...

Mike Dee

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would check out ORD for your lift...if it doesn't all come in a kit they can set you up with the rest of the stuff you'll need.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Go 4" for the least hassles. I did, becuase I had an NP 208 and I didn't want a slip yoke CV.

Now I'm going to have an NP 205, so I'm going 8".

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

With my 6" Tuff Country® I didn't have to even do a t-case drop. Just brake lines, sway bar drop and steering arm. All of it came in the kit. It rides like [censored] but its a mud truck and it doesn't matter. (I'm running the old rear shocks in the front and no shocks out back)

Rust=Good
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bodatious.com> bodatious </a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudboggingfun.homestead.com> my site </a>