Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lift.....

Discussion in 'Parts & Trucks Wanted' started by Mr.LaHoyaSunset, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

Mr.LaHoyaSunset Registered Member

Hey all, I am looking to buy a lift kit for my baby. Heres what i need.
    either 7-10 IN of lift. with all of the components, brake lines, axlee adjustments, driveline changes steering components..... all the bells and whistles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    i wanna get either 40/42in tires....
    and i have the 6bolt setup for rims....
    id like to get this kit at somepoint in the future, so this isnt an immediate thing, but within the year. right now im just looking at costs and feasability.
    any insight will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks and keep em high and runnin hot

2. jwingfield2k

jwingfield2k Registered Member

I wouldnt suggest using 6 lug wheels (1/2) for 40 inch tires. Anyone else back me up on this?

3. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My Dana 44 would eat a set of bearings and lockout hubs once a month when I was running it with my 40's /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. So that will get $$$$$$ quick, but then a again if it is not your daily driver (mine is) it would take longer to happen.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

by the way you said 7in" and the rest of the stuff I think you REALLY need to spend more time aorund here or just find a local 4x4 shop to lift your truck for you. Sorry but your sounding like the kind of guy that goes into a shop and says, "put it on 40s, I don't care what it costs!". gm lifts aren't really available in the 7in. category but you can do a 7" lift with 6" and zero rates. As for hte rest, well you will pay thousands between all the parts and shipping you expect to buy all this stuff online. I have never tried ot ship a 14 bolt or a driveshaft but I am sure its not cheap.

5. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

i know that they dont have a 7in lift, and i was just getting info. i will either be buying complete kits and picking it up, or just getting it done at a shop. would i have to get 14bolt rims to make it work or no?

6. jwingfield2k

well 14bolt rims dont exist, there are such things are 14bolt axles, and 8 lub rims (we called rims, wheels) And I would not suggest putting 40 inch tires on a 10bolt axle, (which you probably have now. And seeing how a 14bolt axle, is 8lug, you will need to get new 8lug wheels.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

also want an 8 lug front axle, can go 10 bolt, dana 44, or dana 60. Dana 60 being the often preffered(especially around 40" tires) for its shear size and strength.

8. mplogic

mplogic 1/2 ton status

Come-on guys at least he's not trying to lower his truck. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

First of all, what is your "baby"? It's much more feasible to put a 10" lift on a long wheelbase vehicle than it is on a Blazer. Also, what is your purpose in building this truck? Is it something you actually intend to use off-road or is it just an around town showboat sort of thing? Have you ever driven a truck on 40s? To go with 40-42" tires and actually make it work well off road you're probably looking at spending at least 10 grand on doing it right (and that's with used parts from this forum). If you just want a massive truck that little kids will oooo and ahhh at, then just take it to a lift shop, but you'll be driving a wild elephant. (forget parking lots)

Most of us that use our trucks as daily drivers and/or weekend off-roading excursions are only running 4-6" of lift on 33-38" tires.

Do some reading in the truck forum for your year and you'll come to a better understanding of what is feasible and what isn't as well as some of the costs involved.

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

First of all theres nothin wrong with driving a Blazer on 42's, its great!!! It also depends on what kind of wheeling your planning to do, I must admit, mines a little big for some things, but so far, it wheels just fine (im not talking about rock crawling). If you want ot run 40's or 42's do it!!!

10. jwingfield2k

but don't put 40's on a 10bolt axle. Can we say crunch?? and snap??

11. RingMaster4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    First of all theres nothin wrong with driving a Blazer on 42's, its great!!! It also depends on what kind of wheeling your planning to do, I must admit, mines a little big for some things, but so far, it wheels just fine (im not talking about rock crawling). If you want ot run 40's or 42's do it!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No one is saying ther eis anything wrong with a blazer on 42s, in fact I hope to have mine on them someday but there is something wrong with a blazer on 42s and 10 bolts.

13. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

i would tend to agree with ya /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but to each his own /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. jwingfield2k

Finally someone is talking like they know what they're doing. And in NO-Way Mr. 40"+ guys am I saying your wrong. I wish I had those size tires. BUT!!! To put that size of tires on a dinky 10bolt axle is just plain stupid. You'll be lucky to get that thing rolling outta the driveway without snapping stuff:-D

15. RingMaster4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    No one is saying ther eis anything wrong with a blazer on 42s, in fact I hope to have mine on them someday but there is something wrong with a blazer on 42s and 10 bolts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I did not see that was your point. In that case I agree with you 100%.

16. Mr.LaHoyaSunset

ok, so consider my butt officially chewed out. Like i said, my reason for posting was to get info and feedback. My truck has a 3.5IN lift, with bf mud terrain 32's. id like to get it bigger, but all i have to work with is a 12bolt axle. attached to my baby, a 1979 K5 blazer with a 305. good thing, is that it only has 30,000 miles. not ten, TWELVE, I have 6lug rims, wheels, dubs, whatever theyre called. I know not a whole lot, and am learning. Thanks for the feedback, and i really appreciate it.
    someone was gonna sell me 38's, but id have to get a 6in lift. so i figured if im getting a 6in lift, why not get 40's. but if its gonna cost me a shitload more than the truck is worth, then theres not a whole lotta sense in that. I guess ill just stick to the 32's for now, and eventually get 38's and a 6in lift.
    in answer to the question of if i actually drive off the road, yes i do and i love it. It is the most fun thing ive ever done, and its a blast. I want more clearance so i can get over more stuff,
    thanks again
    colin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif :k5

17. jackedjimmy350

how about just a 4" and maybe some 35x12.50's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. RingMaster4x4

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, so consider my butt officially chewed out. Like i said, my reason for posting was to get info and feedback. My truck has a 3.5IN lift, with bf mud terrain 32's. id like to get it bigger, but all i have to work with is a 12bolt axle. attached to my baby, a 1979 K5 blazer with a 305. good thing, is that it only has 30,000 miles. not ten, TWELVE, I have 6lug rims, wheels, dubs, whatever theyre called. I know not a whole lot, and am learning. Thanks for the feedback, and i really appreciate it.
    someone was gonna sell me 38's, but id have to get a 6in lift. so i figured if im getting a 6in lift, why not get 40's. but if its gonna cost me a shitload more than the truck is worth, then theres not a whole lotta sense in that. I guess ill just stick to the 32's for now, and eventually get 38's and a 6in lift.
    in answer to the question of if i actually drive off the road, yes i do and i love it. It is the most fun thing ive ever done, and its a blast. I want more clearance so i can get over more stuff,
    thanks again
    colin /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif :k5

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that me and the rest the people that did not mean to come off like that. We were just trying to share our knowledge of half-ton axles. So we could save you some money and the trouble that we had. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. jackedjimmy350

yeah, what ringmaster said /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. jwingfield2k

What ringmaster said... I think I came off the roughest, my apologies:)