Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LIFTED JIMMY

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JimmyJuneau, Aug 27, 2001.

1. JimmyJuneau

JimmyJuneau 1/2 ton status

Ok I dont have the tools to install my lift kit by myself so I am thinking of taking it to a shop and having them instal it. How long do you think it should take to install a 4 inch kit minus the brake lines, arm, and realignment?

Also do you know the length for a 50 series muffler and price?

Thanks
    Brian

1985 GMC JIMMY<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by JimmyJuneau on 08/27/01 07:01 PM.</FONT></P>

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Blocks or rear springs? I would say it should take the shop about 4-5 hours. When I do them I don't really time it, I just relax and take my time. If I were you I'd be willing to bet you can buy the necessary tools and do it yourself cheaper than a shop would do it for you. It really is easy.

Jeg's sells Flowmaster 50 series mufflers that aren't Delta Flows for about $82.99-92.99 each and a 50 series muffler (3 chamber) is 17" long. Price is more expensive for 3" mufflers or single in/dual out ones. Regular 2 1/2" mufflers are 82.99.

I'd go with 2 chambers if you're going to use full tailpipes.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I would recomend Magnaflows instead of Flowmasters. The Magnaflows are a straight through design like a Borla only half the cost. There about the same as Flowmaster. They come with a limetime warranty. They also dont have that droaning noise at freeway rpms like the flowmaster. They sound exactly the same as Borla. check them out My vehicles

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

For a shop to install a likt kit for you will be some serious cash outta pocket. The going rate here is 50 an hour, times 4-5 hours. You can buy the tools you need to the job for less than that and keep them forever. This WON"T be your last blazer, you know.
    You need a 2 1/2 ton jack, jack stands, a socket set and some wrenches. I bought one of my my socket sets at Home Depot. It's a 96 or so piece Husky set that came with 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drives for about 60 dollars. Lifetime warranty. I think the most common sizes you need are 3/4 11/16th, 5/8th and maybe 15/16th for the u bolt nuts. Someone else will correct me on this, and throw in some more wrench sizes. And it's not that hard of an endeavor. Did mine in the dark last summer. Good Luck!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

You would be alot better off to do the installation your self. If you are not mechaniclly inclined, I am sure there is a ColoradoK5 member near you that would help you do it. Right guys??

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/>http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/</a>Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I would say do it yourself. I did mine by myself and it was the first lift I ever did. Mine took a slow paced 2 days but The steering arm swap accounted for most of that. It all depends on how subburn the old parts are. To go to a shop your looking at spending about $200 to 300 in labor.

<font color=red>It's not what you drive, but what drives you</font color=red>( Or is it what you work on,lol)
    <font color=orange> 1955 willy's on a 1977 blazer chassis </font color=orange>

7. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I say go ahhead and do it yourself. 4WPW said they'd do it for $400. I am in the middle if upgreading mine, and even though it gets tough, you learn alot. If something ever breaks, you have more of a chance of fixing it because you know how it works. PLus there are the bragging rights. I havn't taken mine to the shop for anything, and except fo ran upcoming alignment hope I never have to. She's my baby, and I get jelous when others try to get to her undercarrage! lol!

K-5- because size DOES matter!

8. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Hows the weather down there?? I live in Haines, ever been here? Nice to see another Alaskan on here...do you know any other members?? from southeast? Good luck on the lift, if you were here I'd do the lift for you and for half the cost there....where you going... Schwab?? mail me we'll have to get to gether some time.....GOOD LUCK

9. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If you want to do it yourself, but are (like I was) uncertian about having the skills to do it safe and right, I say; dont worry about that. It's all basicly pretty simple technology. The things to think about are;

safety: 3 tonn Jack-stands, eye-protection glasses for grinding, a level surface that you can leave the truck on a few days.

Tools: Grinder, a decent pipe and wrench set, a tierod disconector(borrowed), a smal sledge, wise-grips, and lots of rust spray.

Nice to have also is some knee pads cause you will be crawling around alot on your knees[​IMG]

I have pictures of how I positioned the jack stands when I did mine, and some descriptive text on my web-page at the link below. If you want to e-mail me more questions I'l be happy to help you with any questions you have. I used 2 days on mine on a snow and ice covered driveway.

I also have pic's of installing some flowtech afterburner muflers that you can check out.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>