Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifted Tow Truck??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeepjosh, Dec 13, 2004.

1. jeepjosh

jeepjosh Registered Member Premium Member

A few years ago one of the magazines came out with a feature on a chevy tow truck that was lifted with either 40 or 44 inch boggers. It was eaither white or blue. i was wondering if anyone remembers this truck and what magazine it was in so i could get a back issue on it. And i was wondering if anyone had any other info on lifted tow trucks or where on the web i would go to look for info on them??

2. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have seen one here at a local gas station. I believe it is an older early 80's dually sitting on like 37's or so. The one here is painted Olive Drab with the military lettering all over it. Being this is a military town I wouldn't doubt it one bit. Hey this will give me a reason to stop by and check it out. Give me a few days and I will. What kind of infor you want?

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Yeah I remember that rig.
    It was Blue if I recall correctly and had an old Holmes body on the back.

It was set up as a very simple recovery unit.
    Basically the only hydraulics on it were for the winch in the bed.
    All the boom was manual, which is typical for any older Holmes bed.

I've got that issue down in my archive in the basement, somewhere.
    I can try to locate it but I doubt I'll have any luck prior to Christmas.

As for finding info on other lifted wreckers, I couldn't really tell you.
    If you were interested in building one, I would suggest looking for an older bed like his. One that lacks all the hydraulics would be the best bet for weight and simplicity.

4. jmb0528

jmb0528 Newbie

don't really know about those tow rigs but come on over to carolina beach and we got one like your talkin about....at least the whole 44 boggers deal. it's a great lookin truck, and i'll be damned if it hasn't been able to pull something out yet

5. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

you talkin about john russ's red chevy? i talked to them about towing my junk out of a trail on kerr avenue, $300 just to start the thing up:eek:

6. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have seen that truck in one of My towing mags. Like Skratch said it had the old tried and true Holmes wrecker body on it. If I remember right it was blue and white with an 81-87 front clip. Maybe I should do the same with My old 85 1 ton GMC 4x4 wrecker sitting out back:saweet: :saweet:

7. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Y'all could start with a truck from here. WWW.tcwreckersales.com

Found this site after lookin for a whole 2 minutes. ;)

Just kiddin with ya bud.

8. ratzila

ratzila 1/2 ton status

The guy who built the wrecker had a 69 blazer in the 97 TTC. After the competition he tore down the blazer and built the tow truck. His name is Alex Christianson from Mt. Holley, NJ.

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

[​IMG]Ya know for the price of a new tow rig+ a trailer theese days, you could get one of these, crew cab plenty of room for you and your gear, although i might be a little lery of puttin a rig with a big lift on one of these:)

10. jeepjosh

thanks for the info guys...do any of you know where would i start looking for pictures of lifted tow trucks??

11. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yeah... i can see it now.... forgetting yer exit ramps comin up and try to make the corner, only to have to call another wrecker to come aid you! :haha: :rotfl:

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

Ya my dads best friend had his camper towed on one of those, he said it would be to tall to make the corner by his house, tow truck driver diddent listen, and shure enough it tipped over, funny thing was it said " accident free towing" on the side:D

13. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

If you know what your doing it's no prob.
    I used to run a 4 car version of that white one.
    I had an additional deck over the cab roof.
    Always loaded that part first and drove all over nothern WV with it to get the rest of the cars I had to haul.
    You just have to take it nice and easy when cornering.

I had no problem hauling my Burb on the back of it either.
    I did haul one full size truck with a 6" lift on there, kinda weird but still doable.

14. thezentree

kinda O/T, but for all you tow operators out there, i got a question for yall. in wrightsville beach, parking is REAL hard to come by, and my buddy drives a longbed ex-cab F150 on 35s. anyway, we had parked behind a surf shop in a restaurants parking lot, and someone came in the surf shop and said our trucks were about to get towed. they had a rollback and (regular, for lack of a better term) wrecker there to tow our trucks away. now, both our trucks are 4wd, so we both needed rollbacks. but justin's truck not only probably wouldnt have fit on the rollback, but how would they have gotten it up on there? the parking lot we were in is incredatight and he had gone into the space nose first, and the truck was in park with the brake on. how would they have gotten it on the rollback, besides dragging it? being a furd, i'd imagine dragging it would have broken things :dunno:

15. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

start pulling driveshafts;)

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

On a chevy at least, you can disconect the transmission shifter at the tranny and use a screwdriver to shift it into neutral. Had to do it on a few parts trucks that I didnt have keys to. Oh an BTW I've had crewcab longbeds hauled on rollbacks before, they generally have plenty of room with the end of the bed hanging over the back.

17. thezentree

i dont see how that could be legal. anyway, i fcuking HATE the people that own the restaurant and the tow operators who do their towing. but i digress....thanks for the answers.

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Was it a cover truck? I have Four Wheelers back to 99 or so I think.

19. jeepjosh

Ok, so i found out that the fourwheeler issue that the truck was in, is the august 1998 one...but fourwheeler doesnt have back issues that far back...where else could i look for one...i tried ebay and google...any other suggestions??

20. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

I might have that issue...what r u willing to pay :grin: I will have to make a trip to the archives and see...