Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lifted truck criticisms

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 14, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Been running into alot of them lately... but I have never yet run over any kids or smaller cars.

Should I yank all the rigs apart cause they are "unsafe" and prone to rolling, and a hazard to all life on earth? Or are they like my analogy to guns... lifted rigs, like guns, in the hands of the wrong people is what creates hazards.

Isn't it all dependant on how you drive? Granted, I'm not a perfect driver, and everyone can make mistakes (and I do acknowledge that a bigger rig will cause more damage to others... just like a bus or a semi-truck), so I just have to keep my mouth shut and be criticised I guess.

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

speed is the cause of every accident

bigger the car, the slower you can go
    so it would seem to be safer

mabye not to other people who drive economy cars
    but they cant complain, they opted for mileage over saftey...their own sacrafice

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you have your facts straight you can outargue anyone who will stand to be argued with

There are a lot more of the type that are right no matter what you say though

4. mountainexplorer

I'm just not one to argue... only seems to stir up anger in both sides. I always try to state stuff in a way that says, their concerns are right and I agree, but... here is my reasoning or whatever. But usually, I just let it go without saying very much, and let it bug me constantly. I usually only vent my extreme opinions by writing them.

I have formulated my response to people who criticise, but when I feel like I'm getting accused of such horrendous and bad things, Im not easily able to speak it.

Maybe I'm just feeling like I've tried my whole life to do things right, and help people, and respect people, and protect others, and put others before me... yet people just absolutely can't stand me for things like "too many trucks around looks horrid" or "by owning a lifted truck you are just like that one irresponsible kid who ran over a child with a lifted truck and didn't notice it". I mean, those arent exact quotes, but I feel they are implied sometimes. It's as if others who go out and drink and party and do drugs and race around in lowered little cars and play extremely loud music get more respect than I do. Doing all that is ok... but heavens forbid salvaging used parts and trying not to waste resources or driving a "road hazard" a few weeks out of the year.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I don't know, around here I could point out more kids in rice burners that have rolled their 1" off the ground cars, than guys who have rolled lifted trucks. I only know one guy that had a problem and that was caused by a sleepy trucker crossing the line.

6. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

its just like saying guns are dangerous, but there not.
    only if in the hands of the wrong person, just like anything could be, /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Lifted trucks=safe. nuff said.

It sounds like your just bottling up your anger. You need to expend it somehow(and not by working on a truck) like beating the hell outta somebody...nothin makes ya feel good like an old fashioned brawl... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Ask them to explain how a lifted truck is dangerous. I'd be willing to bet they come up with something that is driver related, not just becouse the truck is lifted. I know it's hard to get people to see the truth when they've already made thier mind up and formed a opinion.

9. fjleiter

fjleiter 1/2 ton status

think it depends on who did the lift, if it was done correctly and who's driving it as far as how safe it is. good example is a 1987 Blazer I looked at last week, teenage kid was so proud of the lift he had installed on it, almost fell over when I saw he had 3 (yes...3) 4" blocks stacked on on top of each other on the front axle, rear had two sets of springs, stacked and welded with more blocks. (whole truck was one big mess of backyard engineering). Needless to say, I was in my car and gone... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

10. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do not think that it is so much an issue of the truck being lifted, It is more the way they are driven. I have seen Trucks with 4" of lift rolled because of some dumbass showing off (trying to)

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Check this out. A good many of these trucks probably shouldn't be on the road. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

12. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I will argue a point into the ground, and I don't stop until the other person gets frustrated and leaves (makes marriage interesting). And I will argue that my lifted truck is far safer that a slammed truck. And when I say safer I mean for me and my passengers. Other drivers safety is not my concern. So should a slammed s10 run a stopsign in front of me all myself and my passengers will feel is a little bump...at worst I'll have to scrape his fiberglass off my skid plates. A slammed and riced s10 could do over 100mph easily where my blazer with the final gearing I want will top out at around 60-65mph. Who is more unsafe?

13. sponsoredbydad

sponsoredbydad Dune Slaying Sand Junkie Premium Member GMOTM Winner

its all in the hands of the driver.face it there are some stupid people out there /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

14. mountainexplorer

[ QUOTE ]
    Ask them to explain how a lifted truck is dangerous

[/ QUOTE ]

I've heard this: (not exact quotes... but this sums it up)

"Those lifted rigs roll alot easier on any sort of hills, they can't stop very well and have poor braking, visibility is bad and you can't see others well, one irresponsible driver ran over a child and made big news locally- therefore all lifted trucks should be mde illegal, you can't steer those very well, and they dont handle well enough and it is too easy to lose control and hit other cars."

I really have wanted to say about how I have video at home of mine and others lifted rigs going up some fairly steep hills. I acknowledged that a higher center of gravity means a higher tendency to roll (especially side hilling), but again, it depends on how the driver handles it.

I also wanted to say that at least my rig (in question at the time) stops excellent, because I coneverted the rear to disc brakes. I also wanted to say that I put the truck and most of them together myself and I know how all the components work for steering, braking and suspension. I know what is illegal and dangerous.

But, I did know that my bumper heights are not quiet legal, and on Spokane streets, you do have to be on top of things when going down certain roads (correct steering for big tires over alot of bumps). Thats why I never let anyone else drive anything I have in town that is slightly harder to drive than normal. I also did know that I didn't have rear shocks on (but got them put on the next day anyway) and that I did kind of drive like a show off once in a while (had to let a couple other guys looking at me hear the motor /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

All I said basically is that it all depends on the driver... meaning if I choose to drive stupidly in a lifted rig or a car or bus or semi-truck, and make a mistake and do damage, it will be my fault. But of course, if anything happens like that, it will be blamed on the driver and the lifted truck... because some people already are set in their minds that they are evil I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Maybe it's safe to say a well built lifted (or slammed, or mini) is safe. You can't look at that Scary Steering page and come away thinking ALL lifted trucks are just as safe a stockers.

Something else most of us seem to forget is the stopping abilty of our trucks with taller tires. The taller the tire, the harder it is for that tiny rotor and caliper to stop. Even a truck set up with 1 ton brakes and 40" tires isn't going to stop nearly as well as with 235x85R 16 tires. Check out some of the Brake websites and the comparison tests they've done. Unfortuntly, no one is making larger rotor / caliper kits for our older rigs.

Eric M.

16. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe it's safe to say a well built lifted (or slammed, or mini) is safe. You can't look at that Scary Steering page and come away thinking ALL lifted trucks are just as safe a stockers.

Something else most of us seem to forget is the stopping abilty of our trucks with taller tires. The taller the tire, the harder it is for that tiny rotor and caliper to stop. Even a truck set up with 1 ton brakes and 40" tires isn't going to stop nearly as well as with 235x85R 16 tires. Check out some of the Brake websites and the comparison tests they've done. Unfortuntly, no one is making larger rotor / caliper kits for our older rigs.

Eric M.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but most of us are not trying to go from 120-0mph and my rig stops just fine for normal driving. And as someone else stated a lot of crawlers have 4wheel disc brakes which to this day to my knoweledge are still not considered standard equipment on many vehicles.

17. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

my truck doesnt have them
    the huge majority doesnt

18. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[/ QUOTE ]True, but most of us are not trying to go from 120-0mph and my rig stops just fine for normal driving. And as someone else stated a lot of crawlers have 4wheel disc brakes which to this day to my knoweledge are still not considered standard equipment on many vehicles.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one is concerned with everyday stopping. You can stop a Toyota with 44s if you know there's a stop sign up ahead. Panic stops are when accidents happen. As far as rear discs are concerned, the rears only handle about 30% of the stopping. If you don't increase the performance of the fronts and rears together, all you have accomplished is causing the rears to lock up sooner (non ABS) which is worse than where you were before. Most wheelers have rear discs to avoid mud in the drums.

Taller tires decrease braking performance, it's a fact. There are some upgrades, vented rotors, carbon kevlar pads, etc., but nothing that will regain what is lost when bolting up those tall meats. And there won't be a way until someone comes out with a 15" rotor and 6 piston caliper set up that will only fit in a 20" rim. It's good to see the tire manufactures making our tires for bigger wheels, now we need a brake manufacturer to do a big brake kit for the Dana 60F.

Don't get me wrong, I love lifted trucks, got 2 of my own, but they don't stop like they did when stock, not mine, not yours, not my neighbors kid who came up with some rediculous reason why his Toy on 38s stops better than stock (less revolutions to stop ... who cares about torque!)

Someone above said it best when he said he doesn't let others drive his truck. He knows it's quirks and downfalls and takes them into consideration when driving. When I'm on the freeway, you can barely see the car ahead of me ... he can run into a brick wall and I'll still have enough time to bring my 36"ers to a stop before my bumper meets his roof line!

Eric M.

19. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    my truck doesnt have them
    the huge majority doesnt

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you talking about rear discks?
    Do you mean the majority of new truck or older lifted 4x4s?

Eric M.

20. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Was this pic from yesterday? That was pretty fun. That Blazer with the 454 was awesome. When are you guys getting together again? I would like to run with you guys again.